Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

When the Mudd-Ox 8x8 first came on the market , it was the only 8x8 that would counter rotate , and built for both recreational and commercial usage. Now that Argo has released the new Avenger HDI , and it also counter rotates , which one would you choose if you were buying a new 8x8?

Very good question. Tough call. For me I would pick the Argo for two reasons. 1. They hydrolics of the Mudd-ox put off a very annoying, but typical hydrolic, wine (a least they do in the you tube vids I have seen) 2. I have heard (unconfirmed) that the Mudd-ox doesnt come with an owener manual/warning stickers on the machine. Just like the Yamaha's rhino, the first death in a Mudd-ox will be followed by a team of lawers which could put a small company like Mudd-ox under.

Other than those two issues I would get a Mudd-ox. The Youtube videos I have seen are very, very impressive

Which would I buy? I'd get an 8 wheel frontier, upsize to the avenger "runamuk" tires, and spend a $1000 on that 23 briggs.. make it into a conservative 35-40 hp. Might not go everywhere the other two machines do, but would be a lot of fun.

Roger,

Does the frontier 8x8 come stock with an 18 hp briggs?

I assume only the 23, unlike the frontier in 14/18/23.

I can sympathize with your dilema. You're retired at an early age, a garage full of amphibs, can go anywhere anytime, and have to choose what if any new amphib to get.

The muddox has been out longer then the "new argo". Im sure Matt will stand by it to. I have heard to much crap about argo to want one. Known tranny issues not fixed and such. I would buy a Mudd-ox. Well when Im done with my terra tiger anyways.

dirty ,

I,ve always been of the opinion to never buy any car, truck, or amphib the very first year its sold to the public. The Mudd-Ox 8x8 has had some teething issues since its first inception , but Matt has stayed on top of every thing , and corrected it in a timely manner! This is some thing you would,nt expect from either Recreatives or ODG .

Quote Originally Posted by dirty View Post
    The muddox has been out longer then the "new argo". Im sure Matt will stand by it to. I have heard to much crap about argo to want one. Known tranny issues not fixed and such. I would buy a Mudd-ox. Well when Im done with my terra tiger anyways.

The Admiral trans for the new Argo has been running for over a year now prior to it being sent to the consumer. We will have see how it is going to work out. I have driven it and think it will be a hit.

They have had some issues with some transmissions in the past but they have stood by all that i know that have had problems, in fact they have bent over backwards in many cases to make the customer satisfied(this i know for a fact) but others may have had some bad experiences. I hear a lot of war stories from the past of people having them in the 70's-80's and not liking them but, they bought a 200$ machine and expect it to run like a new one....ain't going to happen. If you buy a project machine that is what you have bought, and you better be able to work on it yourself or it will cost you a fortune

A lot of these issues with the transmissions were consumer caused, kicking the shifter when getting into the machine, and to give the devil his due some were design. I try not to listen to the guys on the street for info who has no machine and a bad opinion. This site is a good source of information on all the machines and their capabilities.

Dealers are another issue:
    Some only sell and no service but these guys only last a little while. What they have done is left a bad reputation for a machine because they were a crappy dealer. They can't fix or service the machines so you are on your own.....not cool!!!

I like the Argo transmissions, yes they are different from the T-20, i also like the T-20 transmission, been around for a long time and has proved it's self to be one tough transmission.

I guess my point is you will never find everyone that will like one transmission or one style of machine. That is what makes this site so unique in the fact that you can get real life answers without all the BS. People on this site have owned and operated these machines for many years.

This is just my opinion: Lewis

Lewis,

exellent post.

This is kind of like compairing a kawasaki mule to a kawasaki teryx. I don't think were compairing apples to apples. Now I've never driven either, but I have an opinion based on the videos I've seen. So here goes

Anyone ever driven a Zero Turn Radius lawn mower? The ox reminds me of these. Strong, reliable, heavy, and expensive They have constant RPM (somewhere around 3800) and a very annoying hydro gear noise. You'll never sneak up on anything at full throttle, and I would have to wear earplugs every ride.

If I were strictly picking one for recreational, hunting and all around use; the argo is clearly the winner. If both vehicles had experienced drivers the argo would out perform the ox hands down on any given trail simply via nimbleness and throttle control. Not brute force.

However, If I were running an outdoor buisness that fed my family and I depended on my vehicle for my livelyhood, I would hands down go with the ox. This machine looks like a tank. Looks solid well built and ready to work.

However, To each his own, but I would say buy both and tell us which one you like better. !!!

Would also love to see the ox have a 3cyl kubota diesel engine installed.

+ Reply to Thread