Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

waylonh,

I,ve never driven or seen a Mudd-Ox in person either,,but since the Mudd-Ox uses a variable " CVT " , and you can also vary the engine rpm,s based on the load put on the machine , engine and hydrolic noise will vary.

It's not just the counter-rotating of the Mudd-Ox that gives it superiority. The instant reverse gets you out of a situation with no effort. The engine does not spin at a constant speed like other hydro machines. It has a throttle on the sticks so it does not have to waste power and add noise when its not needed.

I have heard complaints on the hydro whine. I was also conserned with the videos and such. I didnt even notice it at all when I was in the machine. I did notice somewhat when I was out watching though. Not near as bad as the you tube videos would make it seem though. Just noticeable.

I've yet to try the HDI, but I'm hearing some great reviews on them from friends that use them in the "Patch". These guys run Argo's daily to get to remote "Wellsites", and from what I hear, there is a MAD DASH in the morning to get to the HDI's. Once the HDI's are gone, the Avengers are the next out the door, then last of all are the 6x6 Frontiers and Bigfoots. (NO slam against the 6x6's, they just don't haul enough cargo)

BUT, YA KNOW WHAT? MOST OF THESE GUYS SAY THEY MISS THE CONQUESTS............

RD

After driving a Mudd-ox for the first time last weekend i too agree with larryw the hydraulic whine isnt noticeable. Most of the time all i heard was the engine cooling fan. The 40 horse kohler engine was amazing, the machine had great power and i loved how it handled. I hav'nt driven a new argo but heard they dont turn as tight. One thing i really liked about the Mudd-ox is how great it turned in tight spots in the woods. Matt builds a great machine in my opinion and i would probably jump in one of those before the argo. Just my 2 cents.

( QUOTE ) ' After driving a Mudd-ox for the first time last weekend i too agree with larryw the hydraulic whine isnt noticeable. Most of the time all i heard was the engine cooling fan. The 40 horse kohler engine was amazing, the machine had great power and i loved how it handled. I hav'nt driven a new argo but heard they dont turn as tight. One thing i really liked about the Mudd-ox is how great it turned in tight spots in the woods. Matt builds a great machine in my opinion and i would probably jump in one of those before the argo. '

CrazyColt222 ,

That was an exellent post about the Mudd-Ox for those people who are concerned about the whine of the hydrolics.

liflod ,

This is what I was told by Tory about the noise on a Mudd-Ox:

this all depends on how much gas you give it while you operate it.

The more throttle you give it , the more noise it will make. It has a throttle control like a Max. Once you decide that you have ample engine RPM to perform on the terrain your operating in , you push forward on the sticks to go forward , or pull backward to go in reverse. If the Mudd-Ox does not move , then you just increase the throttle.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 10-31-2009 at 05:31 PM.

The funny part is Tory and I were together in the machine for our first Mudd-Ox experience.

The other advantages the 'Ox has over the Argo is the weight distribution and ground clearance.
    The Mudd-Ox gives complete control to the driver, there are no funny things that happen if one side loses traction.

Test Drive Argo HDi

I recently took the new Argo 750 HDi EFi for a test drive, here are my first impressions.

Low Gear:

1. Turning takes less force than the power steering in your car/truck.
    2. Turns in it's own length, counter-rotates, perfect circle.
    3. Counter-rotating side, rotates VERY SLOWLY, you have to look closely to see what is really happening. Works more like dynamic braking, but VERY EFFECTIVE.
    4. Gearing seems to be a bit lower (higher ratio numerically) than an Avenger. Climbs steep grades without hesitation, no lack of power.
    5. The best way to describe handling is it's intuitive. Meaning think of turning and it's doing it!
    6. Changing gears from High to Low, is done by a small 2 position lever mounted on the dash. Can change gears "on the fly", it will automatically engage when the rpm is right (no grinding). There is another gear shift lever in the traditional position for F-N-R.
    7. No noticeable power loss when turning.
    8. Low gear top speed 15 mph. (2 people on board) On board digital speedometer.

High Gear:

1. Can turn 360 degrees with ease, like a typical Argo. Turns are not as tight as low gear. No noticeable power loss, but seems like it is working harder. Heading corrections are done with very light pressure on the handlebar.
    2. Top speed 21 mph, (2 people on board) On board digital speedometer.

Water:

1. Travels in the water with the nose down (Typical Avenger).
    2. Water Speed is 3 mph.
    3. Handling in the water is typical Avenger with new 25" (Frontier style) tires. No problem turning, stability is typical Avenger.
    4. Tried counter-rotating, not effective. Tires have little or no effect in reverse because of tread design. Also because of the slow counter-rotating speed.
    5. Exits out of water easily.

General Impressions/Observations:

1. Ride comfort is excellent, the extra padding in the seats does make a difference, as well as the soft side wall tires. Also the redesigned firewall allows for more leg extension. That combined with the effortless steering and "right on" gearing make it a pleasure to drive. 31 HP EFi doesn't hurt either!
    2. Admiral triple differential transmission, is what makes this a different "Argo". They call it a "steering" transmission, I believe the design origins are from military tank applications. If it holds up to the "Public Abuse", I think they have a winner.
    3. Argo has clearly targeted the "side-by-side" market with the HDi, only time and market share will tell how successful they are.
    4. The fit and finish seems a little step up from the typical very good product that ODG produces. The new floor panels are VERY tight fitting, should keep most of the debris out of the chain troughs.
    6. Don't know yet if the HDi is a "True" all wheel drive yet, but will be doing more testing in the "Real" world soon to determine this.
    7. Also will be doing a video walk around, and shooting some video out in the real world, but right now I feel they "got it right". If you have driven or have an Argo you will be impressed with this machine.

Bw6 ,

Exellent reveiw of the new Argo 750 HDI. Two big thumbs up Ray !

+ Reply to Thread