Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox vs the Argo HDI

If you have driven or have an Argo you will be impressed with this machine.

What about those who have never driven or owned an Argo? Isn't that the market they are aiming for?

Argo Market

Liflod,

Sorry I didn't mean to leave all the owners of other AATV's out of the picture, LOL. I was just trying to point out that existing Argo owners or people who have test drove other Argo products would notice the biggest differences.

Like I pointed out what makes the HDi different is the Admiral transmission, especially in low gear. where the counter-rotation comes into play.

Thanks for pointing this out Liflod.

I'm just busting your (tires)

Any chance of finding the patent number on the transmission so I can see how it works?

It ain't much, Lance, but you can get your magnifying glass out and scratch your beard..

Gears, ODG Gearboxes, ODG Quiet Gears, ODG Custom Transmissions, KTR Couplings

I agree with BW6, the steering is almost effortless and when i drove it, it was on pavement. Even on the pavement it rotated in its own footprint. Since i have a 2006 Avenger there is quite a bit of difference in the performance of the 2010. I will not be trading for one but,...if i was in the market for a machine it would be high on my list.

Argo Transmission Patent

I just competed a patent search for ODG and the Admiral HDi transmission. I also searched "patent pending" applications and found nothing under Ontario Drive and Gear.

I did however find the patent for the Centaur Transmission which seems to me a lot like the Admiral in the HDi. This transmission basically works by having one set of tires rotate faster than the other side in a large radius turn, and gradually increasing this ratio to 7:1 in which case one side counter-rotates. This ratio changes by steering inputs. It uses planetary gear sets, which divide the torque equally under light loads, but can be unequal under heavy loads. The patent is pretty heavy reading (14 pages) if your not versed in engineering, but could have been simplified without going into all the different examples. BSBB (BS. Baffels Brains)

US Patent Number: 6,454,031 B2

I tried searching for the patent when I first heard the news about it. I had less luck than you did. Its easier with the patent #. I've found the T-20, and scrambler patents and loads of other interesting ideas on the patent web site. If anyone can get a patent # off the trans, please let us know.

Smile Argo HDi last vidéo

Hello Mudbud, as i was watching and reading this post, I tough that i could put my new vidéo of the 2010 HDi counter rotating in the sand and you beat me again, you are so fast buddy!!!

Have a nice day

Martwell

Argo HDi demo video

Here's short video I found demonstrating the Admiral transmission. Notice that the engine doesn't even change sound when turning.

Last edited by Mike; 11-21-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: merged your thread into this one with a similar topic

+ Reply to Thread