making a 6x6 skid steer transmission...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: making a 6x6 skid steer transmission...

THE trans did have reverse also ( I just did'nt know for 6 months)
    you pulled the lever back at you to go left or right.pulling the
    lever pushed on the forks releaseing presure on the clutch and pulling
    on the brake band,(what I did'nt know because brakes were always tight)
    that continure to pull back,and it slides a sun gear in place to reverse that side.it was a correct amount linkage thing.I had loosen the brakes up one
    day on stands to adjust and found out.cool.
    NERO

sounds really cool. how do you compare it to a conventional 6x6 tranny like a t-20 or argo trans? and does the clutch say the brand on it? i want to look it up to see the specs of it.

Wink

The clutch was Radial like automotive,held by spring pressure,pulling
    the lever back dis engaged power thur a fork also moveing and inter pilot bushing along center axis moving a sun gear in place for reverse.was very
    geared down .lots and lots of tq ,no speed.the steering was great just pull
    lever the way you want to travel.it was heavy duty ,and over weight.I
    think it could take a lot of hp not( rpm).
    NERO

Quote Originally Posted by NERO View Post
    The clutch was Radial like automotive,held by spring pressure,pulling
    the lever back dis engaged power thur a fork also moveing and inter pilot bushing along center axis moving a sun gear in place for reverse.was very
    geared down .lots and lots of tq ,no speed.the steering was great just pull
    lever the way you want to travel.it was heavy duty ,and over weight.I
    think it could take a lot of hp not( rpm).
    NERO
    according to the pics i found, it was VERY geared down. so you don't think it would be a good idea for hi rpm? i'm talking up to 4,000 rpms. i imagine the gearing could be played with too.

i didnt realize that this thred would light up so much
    i have 4 of those old swathers in my boneyard
    the guy that mentioned the double panetaries is right , that is the way it works as you apply brakes to the outside drum the inside begins to turn the opposite way
    the only servivable part on them was the brake pads that looked like the old parking brake on an old 50s or 60s pickup or truck (a small drum on the drive shaft) the rest is all sealed inside a case and you simply changed the gear oil as needed
    the entire unit was driven off a centrifical clutch on the center shaft ,however it too was mechanically set for desired overall speed
    i'll get some pics and post them

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    i didnt realize that this thred would light up so much
    i have 4 of those old swathers in my boneyard
    the guy that mentioned the double panetaries is right , that is the way it works as you apply brakes to the outside drum the inside begins to turn the opposite way
    the only servivable part on them was the brake pads that looked like the old parking brake on an old 50s or 60s pickup or truck (a small drum on the drive shaft) the rest is all sealed inside a case and you simply changed the gear oil as needed
    the entire unit was driven off a centrifical clutch on the center shaft ,however it too was mechanically set for desired overall speed
    i'll get some pics and post them
    robinhood thanks. those pics would help. i could not find anything online that gave me info regarding this type of setup. the way it operates is still kind of unclear to me but i think pics may help. i just don't quite see how a clutch can go in reverse with the input shaft still going the same direction.

How stuff works has a pretty good explanation of a planetary gear set works.
    I believe thats how the new Argo transmission gets its counter-rotating ability via a planetary set and thats why the counter rotating side is geared alot lower than the primary drive.

rotate

the t 20 can counter rotate just add another shifter and split the linkages
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

I'm really late on this one, but here's my 2 cents. The Trail Boss uses two trannys (No longer) made by Vesely that work the exact way alot of these posts explain. And they are quite simple. They have 1 planetary gear set and two drums for drive. 1 being forward and the other reverse (Obviousely). Both controlled with a brake band. Forward motion is achieved by releasing the brake band on the forward drum and applying the brake on the reverse drum. It is done simultaniously. Can't be done seperately. And of course reverse is opposite. Because there are two trannys, you can "Neutral-Steer" or turn aroun in your own tracks. These trannys are built like rock crushers and that combined with the "Neutral-Steer" is why I like the Trail Boss.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

hydralic drives

After much remeneicing?, i think it was an owatonna swather, full hydralic drive.... i liked it, not noisy, full rotation, reverse too..... i'll find a link..... oh. i might have a pict from my "wonderful camera " somewhere.LOL
    Yesterday's Tractors :: View topic - Antique Owatonna swather
    Last edited by Amphiman1; 01-20-2010 at 09:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread