making a 6x6 skid steer transmission...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: making a 6x6 skid steer transmission...

making a 6x6 skid steer transmission...

so there are a couple different ways i can steer an amphib...there's the attex 6000 which is simply gearing down the engine and enabling steering forward-only, or hydraulics, which can be heavy, loud, and expensive. argo make a trans exclusive for them, max does the same with their t-20, and the tuff torq-kt-35 is not made anymore.

for those of you who know about the muscateer...it's transmission is called a "black box"...just a big box full of chains and sprockets. at first i laughed when i saw this thinking of all the problems that could happen. but then i read up a little on it. i am wondering if there are actually advantages in a design like this for another "skid steer" drive that could be used. do you guys think it's durable and reliable to have that much going on for the drive? would that be a turn-off for you in an atv?
    here's what i like about it:
    1. all parts are generic, so it would not cost much to build
    2. you can have the capability of zero turn (one side reverse and the other in forward) without any hydraulics!! this is the one i really like.

do you think it's worth designing something with parts like this to get a zero turn option without hydraulics? or are there too many moving parts waiting to break in your opinion?

and to answer any questions right now, no i am not interested in just using a transmission that is already out there. the idea is to make something new, something that could be better.

In my opinion, if you have the ability to do it and enjoy the work - do it up! There will always be room to improve on anything out there (except the wheel.. cause it's awesome.. than again.. there is the twheel).

the best trani system i've ever seen for this kind of app. is the drive unit out of an old mechanical drive agricultural swather from the 50s 60s or 70s ,they all had only one gear and it was forward ,if you wanted to go right ,pull back a little on the right stick ,if you wanted to go back you simply pulled back on both steering handles ,if you wanted zero turn radious pull hard back on one stik and you will have one wheel going forward and the other backwards,,, the beauty of it is it worked going back too if you were going backwards you could do zero turn as well and it is so simple these things ran for decades with little or no repairs not to mention it was the drive unit on a 3500 lb unit not a 805 lb Max, LOL and i think it weighs less that a T20

Smile steering,,

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    the best trani system i've ever seen for this kind of app. is the drive unit out of an old mechanical drive agricultural swather from the 50s 60s or 70s ,they all had only one gear and it was forward ,if you wanted to go right ,pull back a little on the right stick ,if you wanted to go back you simply pulled back on both steering handles ,if you wanted zero turn radious pull hard back on one stik and you will have one wheel going forward and the other backwards,,, the beauty of it is it worked going back too if you were going backwards you could do zero turn as well and it is so simple these things ran for decades with little or no repairs not to mention it was the drive unit on a 3500 lb unit not a 805 lb Max, LOL and i think it weighs less that a T20
    I had 2 of those swathers.... they were lime green., i can't remember the name of them right now though....

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    i really like that idea. i never knew something like that existed in those machines. kinda hard to find online though but i'll continue looking. do you have any diagrams or any info of the sort?

Cool

I think the trans I had in a Cat-a-gator was that.clutch pac on the side
    with a fork ,gear inside that ran oppidise way when push all the way.
    some one said it was a swather trans .sorry but I don't know what a
    swather is.or seen one before?they are heavy duty tho.and bullet proof.
    NERO

Quote Originally Posted by NERO View Post
    I think the trans I had in a Cat-a-gator was that.clutch pac on the side
    with a fork ,gear inside that ran oppidise way when push all the way.
    some one said it was a swather trans .sorry but I don't know what a
    swather is.or seen one before?they are heavy duty tho.and bullet proof.
    NERO
    nero do you have any pics of that setup? i don't quite exactly understand how it works. what is pushed against the gear to go the other way?

Cat
    Last edited by AndyL; 10-20-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Cool

YES ,take a look a my album there is a photo of it .a central shaft
    powered both .its there some where.
    Nero

Swathers

Andy, here a link of an older swather. It you search "Antique Self-Propelled Swathers" you will find a lot of info on them as well as some early patents.

It seemed that they used a double planetary gear system, with band brakes (kinda sounds like a T-20, lol) The swathers used a tricycle wheel system as shown in the link

There were many adaptations of this drive to get around patented features. Looks like they were all replaced with hydraulics.

The Combine Forum - Antique swathers

thanks bw6 i will check it out.

nero i just looked up how the catagator drives, but i'll check out your pics as well.
    it looks like it uses a bidirectional clutch (centrifugal clutch?). this is what i found out based on searching. there is a company called hilliard that makes reversible clutches for go-karts and industrial applications, so i'm going to give them a call and see if they have a heavy duty one.

can you describe to me a little what it's like driving your catagator and your opinion/experience with it, maybe a comparison of a t-20 if you have driven one...?

thanks a lot! this is real exciting stuff for me

+ Reply to Thread