need help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help

need help

hi, i am new to the site along with these machines. i have a max iv that i am restoring.i have the main drive sprockets that need to be replaced. my problem is i cant get the axle out. i have tried everything. my last option is to cut the axle and make a new one. any suggestions thank you.

Is the axle stuck to the sprocket, inner bearing or outer bearing?

Did you get the concentric locking collars loose from the axle/bearing ?

Best bet is to unbolt the outer bearing flangette and remove with the axle.

Are you familiar with the style of locking bearing collars that are used?

You can usually free the sprocket by using a pry bar against the frame.

Use lots of PB Blaster.

i had to drill out the allen head screw in the coller i broke the wrench off inside trying to get it out. i have taken the bearings loose on both ends and the bot that runs through the sprocket shaft and axle is removed. i can tell that the axle is stuck in that coller but i have soaked it for a week in wd-40 and heated it up and nothing

WTF is a "valence electron?"

WD-40 is a poor penetrant. PB-Blaster is a great way of getting stuff freed up. Even with PB blaster, soaking doesn't always do the trick. Often you need to do a combination of heat/hammer/soak. When we say heat, we mean HEAT. A propane torch doesn't always get hot enough. If you have it available, get an oxy-acetylene torch in there and do some damage.

I'm confused by your post. Do you have the axle out, or is the end of the axle still stuck in side one of the collars? Does the sprocket move freely on the axle shaft after you took the bolt out? With really stubborn sprockets that are stuck to axle shafts, I put a large pipe wrench on the drive sprocket (inside the tub), get it friggen' HOT (not "cook an egg" hot, more like "strip a valence electron from its outer shell" hot) and turn the axle with another pipe wrench from outside the tub. Keep hitting it with the penetrating oil as you do it. PB has a really high flash point, so don't worry too much about fires.

The parts have to come apart somehow. Even if you end up cutting the axle, it's just a piece of steel. They're still making steel these days.

good luck!
    ~m

i think im just going to cut it. im an impatiant person and i like destruction. i really appreciate your help guys i will post some pics soon.

You can cut the collars with a Dremel most of the way and use a chisel to get them split and off the axle.

liflod has the right idea. a Dremel with those little cutting wheels are amazing. They get in places a big grinder with a cut off wheel can't. for such a small wheel they cut reasonably fast.
    Hydromike's way also works. just have the garden hose ready if the body is poly and starts to burst into flames, run.

+ Reply to Thread