14 Briggs serviced now stumbling

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14 Briggs serviced now stumbling

14 Briggs serviced now stumbling

I just purchased a 1999 MaxII with a 14hp Vanguard. The air filter was dirty as was the oil so I went to local small engine place got a new air filter, new oil filter plugs and oil. Replaced everything put a little carb cleaner in the carb. Well, the 2 quarts the guy at the engine shop told me put in was too much, after starting the motor and it running and missing I checked everything and drained out some oil. I then pulled the plugs cleaned them off and started it back up. Ran fine until the motor tried to settle into an idle. Now it will die down blip the throttle start to die, blip, so and so on. Any ideas out there?

Not my best 1st maintenance experience on the little Vangaurd motor.

Hey,
    Does it sound like the throttle is set to low? Is it blipping itself or are you?

It lets it settle then, as it starts to die it will open the throttle up and recover.

It will bounce like this all on it's own. I would go ahead and bump up the throttle but it seemed to be doing ok before I went and messed with it.

Sounds like there is something plugging a jet in the carb or its out of adjustment. One trick that sometimes works is to remove the air cleaner, then start it up, rev it up to max rpm or near and cover the air intake to completely restrict it. Hold it there untile it almost dies, and release. It will puff black smoke as it burns the extra gas it just sucked but if all goes well it will suck any debris in the carb out too. Try it couple times. It may help if you spray carb cleaner too to soften debris up. It doesnt always work. If that dont then I would look into the adjustment. Then still no luck you might have to tear into it and double check all the little jets and pinholes. Wire brush bristles work sometimes if you do see something plugged. Air pressure helps too. Good luck. Hopefully the trick works.
    Last edited by LarryW; 10-28-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelled carb, not carg

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll certainly give them a try.

Thanks again,

The idle may need to be adjusted. It sounds like the governor is causing that "blip" due to the idle speed.

Ok so much thanks for the tips, I took the carb down today and cleaned everything, it runs very strong now, it stumbled a little but I just touched the idle screw and now low idle and all she is smooth. Runs strong on the throttle and purrs at idle.

Thanks again Larry and Bud!

+ Reply to Thread