24" Argo Frontier tires on a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 24" Argo Frontier tires on a Max II

24" Argo Frontier tires on a Max II

(split from another thread)

I too wonder how the 24" Argo Frontier tires would perform. Those may be the answer for all the Max II guys. I am seriously contemplating adding a set in the future but I will also have to move my exhaust to a rear exit so there is a bit more work involved for me...Time (and $$$) will tell
    Last edited by Mike; 06-25-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Mike, do you think the external Max II exhaust would hit on those 24" Argo tires? I know that it is pretty close just with the 22" Rawhide III's. Those 24" Argo tires seem to be extremely expensive at $125 for just one tire. I could get 3 22" Rawhide III's for that price.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff, the exhaust will interfere unless you have rear exit exhaust on yours? If not, you have to convert it to the new rear exit instead of the side exit. As for the price, I didn't realize they were that expensive. That may be the deal breaker right there.

The other good thing about the 24" ones though is the ground speed that you gain. If my math's correct, assuming a Max II has a top speed of 25mph with 21" stock tires, you get about a 5 mph gain in speed too.

(Circumference = pi * d
    = 3.14 * 21" (for my tires)
    = 61.94 " per revolution

25 mph = 132000 ft/hour = 1584000 in/hour = 25573.14 revolutions/hour

25573.14 revolutions/hour *( 24" * 3.14) = 1927191.48 in / hour = 160599.29 ft/hour = 30.41 mph top speed)

24" Tires

The 24 inch Argo tires hit the body above the front tires on my max II. They just clear when the vehicle is sitting still, but I thought they might grow a bit at speed. So I ran it on the lift and they rubbed, just enough to clean the mud off the body. I don't know yet if it makes any difference that I have an older lower body (1992) that has had much use and abuse. The shape of the lower bodies hasn't changed, but I think mine may have sagged down over the years. I will try the tires on a newer max and find out. I havn't tried the tires in the center yet. I have an external exhaust max II under construction here, so I will see if it clears the tires. I will make these tires fit even if I have to heat the body & move it up!

top speed

Mike, if your max is serial no. 15450 or lower, you can increase your top speed by putting new springs and weights in your clutch. (basically 1998 or older).
    I have found that my max performes better with lower gearing. I lost some top speed but gained climbing power. I guess it depends on weather you prefer to go fast or climb over obsticles.

Body Modification 101

Here is a picture of Mad_Max and I making room for the bigger clutch on his new motor. The same technique should work to make my tires fit.........
    Attached Images

NICE, DAN!

I just finished a big heat-gun extravaganza on my RIM trying to make new Max IV skid plates fit. Overall, they fit really well, but it took a lot of coaxing and about 1500 watt-hours worth of heat-gunning to make it all fit the way it should. This is one area where I like Poly bodies a lot more than the ABS. ABS isn't as malleable around the 300 degree point. But Poly flows like butter. I find that propane gets a little too hot, and is more difficult to control. You took it to another extreme with the jet engine you're holding in your hand.

Again,... NICE!
    ~m

i put argo tires on my max2. they ride very smooth compared to the rawhides. i had to heat the body to fit the front and center tires. dont know about the exh. i already have duel exh. coming out of the back.i have not tried them in water yet. greg

Dan, thanks for that info on the tires and clutch. As for that picture, were you trying to put a hole through both sides at one time?

Greg, thanks for sharing that info as well. Any time that you hear about a smoother ride, that grabs my attention Can you tell any other difference in performance at all. Faster speeds, less torque/climbing power, etc.

I wondered if they would make any noticeable difference there.

Thanks

Mike, I put a set of argo tires on my max IV and it sure made a big differance in ride and also performance. I had the 26" terra grips witch sould have been left on farm tractor instead of a no suspension 6 wheeler. the argo tires wiegh almost 100lbs less than the terra grips.

+ Reply to Thread