1993 Argo rebuild cost?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1993 Argo rebuild cost?

1993 Argo rebuild cost?

I'm new to the site but about a month ago bought my first Argo, a 1993 6x6. Hour meter says 572 but it doesn't work. The guy I bought it from is a friend of mine and he said it worked last year and wasn't driven much since then. The two rear outer bearings are shot, two middle are a little worse and the front 2 not so bad. The chains between the middle and rear wheels are so loose they ride on the frame support running perpendicular to the chain. Looks like it's been doing that for some time. I don't have the time or the tools to tackle a rebuild myself so need some assistance on what I should expect for cost. Assume 6 bearings, seals, new chain, swap sprockets from one side to another, etc. Also, the collar between the sprocket and the inner bearing is welded in place on one of the rear wheels. Will I need a new axle? Engine runs good and tranny shifts smooth so don't think there is anyting else major.

I love the site - look forward to reading all the threads.

A few pictures

I found out how to attach pictures. Hope it worked
    Attached Images

I also have a 93 Argo, I'm no expert but I just went through it with all new outer bearings, gaskets and seals, two of the inner bearings, all of the chains and six new tires. I probably need new tensioners too. The more that you can purchase from sources other than Argo, they better off you will be. 50-2 chain can be bought through motion industries. I think I ended up with 4 10 foot rolls, I have some left over. I bought the smaller transmission chains through route6x6.com. Bearings and seals can also be bought at motion, I found bearings on ebay at a great price. I purchased my seals from advanced auto. As far as labor...don't know, because I did it all myself, they are pretty simple machines.

I'm curious about collars on your rear axles? My front two axles have collars to retain the sprocket keys in the axles. I had to reach down into the bottom of the argo and cut one collar off with a grinder as it was hopelessly rusted, a pain for sure. However my rear axles have sprockets that are splined, and retained with a set screw and no collars....at any rate..the collar's welds could be carefully cut away and the axle saved with a bit of polishing I would bet.

This is an old post but I'm in a similar situation. Passenger side rear chain is loose, seems like some of the bearings are shot. First time with an argo and it's a learning experience for sure.
    Steve Cornick
    1993 Vanguard Argo w/16hp B&S

Its fairly easy job to do bearings and seals and some even do the chains at the same time as its easier to just do it all at once or go axle by axle. Also dont forget to check the inner bearings too. The job is easily done with common hand tools and you can do a search for Rockdoctor's video of changing bearings on his conquest.

Rock doctors video is really good. It's way easier if you have someone willing to help. Pull the axles one at a time or one from each side if you are swapping sprockets. I personally like to use a mixture of one third synthetic grease and two thirds synthetic gear oil on the chains. Mix it really good with a paint mixer on a drill. I apply it with a squirt bottle and a brush with the tires jacked up and rotating. I know its messy, but if you ever have to change bearings, the bearings and sprokets won't be siezed on the axles.

Slim

I'm new to the world of 6x6 as well. I tore mine down to the frame and re-building from there (see "paquette's argo" thread for pics).

Can someone post a link to these parts suppliers.

What info do I need re: replacing the roller chain ? I think someone referred to it as 50 -2 roller chain.

im in the process of doing the same thing as you.ive bought all new chain sprockets bearings and axles as well as seals.if you only need chain then check out canada bearing,their prices are ok.if you need double 40 chain for the jackshafts,i might have some leftover at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    im in the process of doing the same thing as you.ive bought all new chain sprockets bearings and axles as well as seals.if you only need chain then check out canada bearing,their prices are ok.if you need double 40 chain for the jackshafts,i might have some leftover at a good price.
    Jack shafts ??? Which ones are they ?

Are all the chains 'double 40' ???

I just did all the axles, bearings, seals, chains, thensioners, brakes, belt and carb on my 92 Magnum 8x8, rather I had them done at the dealer, and it cost me $2500 CDN
    Im not mechanically inclined nor do I know anything about Argo's, I did however manage to put 1 hour on mine since I got it in August! still no idea how to drive it properly or what it is capable of

+ Reply to Thread