Any Super Swamp Fox upgrades?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Super Swamp Fox upgrades?

Any Super Swamp Fox upgrades?

I've been trying to search the site here w/ no luck. I'm sure this had to be asked or attempted... So Has any one tried a double roller chain & sprocket upgrade to their swamp fox? If so point me in the right direction please. I was thinking of a few things I could do to mine. 1. Such as roll bar w/ a canopy made from an old pop up camper canvas I have. But I dont want devalue it. (As I type I'm thinking the Real value is the joy I & my family are going to get from it!) 2. A plow for the winter (canopy) 3. I really liked the how to for the HDPE skidplate. I want a solid machine I can work & play w/! (Mainly play)

hi ,
    I am wondering the same thing myself

After inspection if double chain [duplex] were fitted to front axle it would be ok
    The big if is the tensioner ..........where will it go ???
    To solve this i suspect the chassis will need to be pulled out
    First and additional tubular crossmember running eg 1/2 inch clearance to f sprocket left to right of chassis . This then allows u to have a c channel running front to rear of machine between the tubular crossmembers .
    Once done u now have a tensioner mount area eg between the outer c channel and the inner
    The front chain will have to run less than 3/8 inch clearance to outside c
    channel
    This idea came from an early argo chassis mid 80s

The suggestion of double chain is a good one why ?
    The chain is double the standard width and should stretch far less eg longer service life as the chain pins have a greater area to support load .
    The heavier the machine and the wider the machine all place load on chains eg swamp fox . Argo apparently is now using double in the 8x8

The rear chain may be a problem due to width of section cut out in the lower body ,it allows for single chain front and rear not double .
    Still working this out.
    The main problem is that u do not want to change lower tub fiber glass if u can avoid it for cutting and making the lower section wider

The chassis modifications are the same for the rear as the front

Tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 01-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.

If you can,t use double chain [duplex] in the rear of the Swamp Fox, what about using the heavier single 60 chain? I,m assuming it would stretch less under load than the single 50 chain.

Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi ,
    I am wondering the same thing myself

After inspection if double chain [duplex] were fitted to front axle it would be ok
    The big if is the tensioner ..........where will it go ???
    To solve this i suspect the chassis will need to be pulled out
    First and additional tubular crossmember running eg 1/2 inch clearance to f sprocket left to right of chassis . This then allows u to have a c channel running front to rear of machine between the tubular crossmembers .
    Once done u now have a tensioner mount area eg between the outer c channel and the inner
    The front chain will have to run less than 3/8 inch clearance to outside c
    channel
    This idea came from an early argo chassis mid 80s

The suggestion of double chain is a good one why ?
    The chain is double the standard width and should stretch far less eg longer service life as the chain pins have a greater area to support load .
    The heavier the machine and the wider the machine all place load on chains eg swamp fox . Argo apparently is now using double in the 8x8

The rear chain may be a problem due to width of section cut out in the lower body ,it allows for single chain front and rear not double .
    Still working this out.
    The main problem is that u do not want to change lower tub fiber glass if u can avoid it for cutting and making the lower section wider

The chassis modifications are the same for the rear as the front

Tomo
    Wow! You have really put some thought into the chains. I can only say thank you for clarifying that. I could definitely learn alot from you. I have not actually began my project yet. But I have some Homework to do it seems. My first item will be to dismantle the chains & inspect the frame while cleaning & clearing the rust.

+ Reply to Thread