Bush Swamper 16/24 wheeler.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Swamper 16/24 wheeler.

Bush Swamper 16/24 wheeler.

Hi, I am new to the site. I am getting one of these to rebuild.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/brand...h-swamper.html
    I was hoping that someone out here may have seen one or owns one. I have heard that these are great machines. And it does look like some serious fun. Even if I dont get much advice out here I willl be sure to post pics as soon as possible.

Welcome to the site. I believe there are one or two people on the site with some knowledge of the Bush Swamper. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress and hopefully video of the Bush Swamper in action *hint hint*

Before you start though I'm going to go purchase some stock in Slime. That's a lot of tires to keep inflated. Good luck with your build.

cool

i dont really know anything about them but i do really like them. YOU HAVE TO PUT SOME PICS AND VIDEOS UP ON IT!!! sorry i dont know anything about them but good luck. id put 16 super swampers on it if i was rich wow thinking about that i hope you are 16 tires of anytype is at least a thousand dollars and i thought eight tires was bad
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

Know A Little

BushSwamper, I did some research on the BushSwamper a couple of years ago. I tracked down the former company in Sudbury, Ontario that manufactured them, and followed the trail from there. I found the Shop Foreman who built the BushSwamper for around 15 years. One of their major customers was Ontario Hydro, who used them for pole line and infra-structure support.

The Shop Foreman told me the whole story of their success and ultimate closure, as well as the strong and weak points of the BushSwamper and Grizzly. I checked out the manual and inspected the complete design with the Foreman as my guide. I took quite a few pics. My interest at the time was to resurrect and modernize this design.

So if you run into technical problems, or if I can help in any way, please feel free to PM me.

That sounds great. I havent really found to much online about them. Some patent information for a one with a saw attatchment is about the most indepth info i found. I have not seen it as of yet, but i have been told that it has relatively low hours and just needs "cleaning up". I talked to him last night and it sounds like it may be coming down sometime in january. I will keep you all posted.
    Thanks again.

I've got its cousin, the Grizzly !!!

Nice strong machine, but not all that easy to work on. I got the Grizzly this summer from a friend, and just started to work on it. She's my winter overhaul project. The carburetor's diaphragm pump wouldn't pull its gas, but that got sorted out with a new carb kit, and the engine runs pretty good. I didn't want to invest much time and money until I new the engine was working. So now I'm ready to look into the brake system. It's not easy access, and I may need to take out a few parts to get there. The brakes have been disconnected for a long time because the brake fluid reservoir is badly cracked. There's a VW logo on it, so I took a stab at it and looked at all the old Beetle engines and found one for a Beetle Bug 1968-1977 that looks just like it. I haven't ordered it yet, so I'm 100% sure that it fits. They don't ship to Quebec, Canada, so I'll get it shipped to one of my American friends (help to be 10min from the border Here's the link if you need the part:

BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR: VW Parts, Volkswagen Parts, VW Bug Parts, VW Bus Parts

I wish I could find the Repair manual for it. I have the Operator's manual, but it keeps referring to the Repair manual for more technical details...I have it on my XMAS list...Santa...Please....I've been good!!!

Specs:

- Trans Tec Grizzly Model SV118G Serial# G85111019 Year 1985
    - Engine: Briggs & Stratton 694CC 18HP at 3600 rpm SAE J607 Twin Cylinder BNF motor
    - Engine Model 422437 Type 1045-02 Code 85032012 Serial K353585

Reply back if you need anything.
    Attached Images

Well.... good news and bad news..... The good news is that the Grizzly has arrived. The bad news is that after sitting for 20 years they decided to drop it while loading it and broke most of the fibreglass and some of the cast parts. I looks like it WAS in fairly good condition prior to the accident. I will have pictures soon. I must say that it certainly one interesting drive setup. The motor has compression but after a brief going over i think it needs a starter and a carb. The oil in it is very clean and the hour meter says 30 hours and id be inclined to believe it. Likre i said though i will have pics up this weekend and then the advice can start rolling in :].

Well, after checking the oil and the plugs, I am starting to believe that this thing only had 30 hours. The choke on the carb is seized but i figured id pour some gas in it and give it a whirl. It fired almost immediately..... then flooded. Pulled the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning and now it is running fine. It is a grizzly. I was wondering if anyone had pics of the breather pan as mine is missing and also belt numbers for the drive. I the transmission seems free so i would like to to try and get it mobile. Once i know it moves the cleanup will begin. I will get pics and perhaps a movie today of it running.
    What an interesting Machine.

Thats great news on the motor but it sucks that they busted up some of the fiberglass. Does the drive currently have belts on it? If so you may have to take them off and match them up at an auto parts store. If there aren't any belts on it you can always measure the distance between the clutches or pulleys and the diameter of each one and figure your belt size from that.

Just some ideas. I don't think you will find too many people that can help you on specifics of the machine but with your updates in this thread I think you will probably help someone in the future that finds your posts while looking to restore their Grizzly. I look forward to pictures and video.

If it was a straight v-belt i would have no problem measuring centres, but it is a dual snowmobile belt setup and Im not even sure where to begin on sizing. I WILL take pics today. The motor has dual output shafts (one on each side of motor) and they both have centrifugal clutches to two separate transmissions which run each bank of wheels. If anyone is well versed in snowmobiles may be able to help me if i get centres.
    Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread