dry rot tire repair-evaporated milk???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dry rot tire repair-evaporated milk???

dry rot tire repair-evaporated milk???

I have 12 of the old type disposable flotation tires.10 of them leak.All 10 have dry rot cracks that leak .The cracks are between the treads.I have been reading that many old timers would use evaporated milk in side of bike tubes to stop leaks.The theory was the milk sours gets rancid and changes to a nasty gell that seals leaks.The only drawback was that if the tire ever blew out was the smell was likely to make you vomit!-I am about to try it as I just dont have the funds to purchase new tires and wheels.I wish the cracks were on the sidewalls then I would try an exterior patch.Tractor supply sells a vulcanizing rubber roof repair buy the gallon that states it gells into the rubber .I am thinking of trying that also.Just thought I would post and see if anyone has tried any of these.I did buy 2 cans of rv fix a flat to put in the tires but I fear that it might not work.Any suggestions???

I would try tire slime before I dumped a can of milk in.

1 Gal of slime is $24 at my local Walmart.......I HATE Walmart, but I still will buy some stuff there, $29 seems to be the common price elsewhere.

How much slime to add?I realize I have to pull the valve core out of the stem.I have only used the fix a flat with limited success.With the tires only holding 1lb of pressure I didnt know if tire slime would work.I will try it if people have had good luck with it.The last large can of fix a flat I bought was 5 years ago and was $6 and it did not work.I vowed never to buy the stuff again.Last weekend while vacationing I got 2 large cans with the flexible lines of rv tire repair for $6.The old balloon tires are difficult just putting air in the way the valve stem is on the little rim.I really get upset at myself when I spend money on something that doesnt work.People on this site have helped me alot with my scrambler rebuild so the opinions I receive I apreciate and so far every ones advice has been %100 percent correct.

Hey Flippy,

A lot of folks love the old balloon tires for their authenticity and ride quality. A lot of folks will likely disagree when I say that I think you're better off upgrading to a more modern tire/wheel combination. It's going to be more money to upgrade than to attempt to fix the balloons with slime, but it's pretty much a guaranteed fix with the new rubber. You don't have to go with brand new tires, as used tires become available as folks change out and upgrade.

Of course, balloon tires also become available from time to time, but they seem to command a pretty high price.

~m

Well the 2 cans of 20 ounce rv fix a flat put in one balloon tire did not work!$6 down the drain.The stuff just came out of the crack just as fast as it went in.I am off to tractor supply to buy a gallon of tire slime for $25.Why are the 6 inch atv tires only $22 while the 20x10x8 atv lugged tires are $67 a piece on sale?Anyone ever go down to 6 inch rims and tires?While at tractor supply I am going to check the actual size difference.Hard to believe that non radial atv tires cost more than some brand new radial car tires but I am learning as i go along.

Hey man my friends dad was a small engine and lawn mower wizard before before he passed away,so when the dry rotted,leaking tires on my cub cadet became a problem he had the solution. Latex glue, he worked at a bag factory and brought this latex glue to me. I took out the valve stem,put it in(8-10 oz. in the large back tires) and 6 years later when i gave it to my friend the tires which had been leaking
    were still full of air.

This is what I used :-
    Weather Cracked Tyres.

This is what I used to put weather cracked tyres back into service.I mounted tyre on rim - tried to inflate but more air came out of cracks and wouldn't push beads into place. Took the valve stem out and put air hose onto valve to blow tyre onto bead.Then into tyre went My mix of tyre sealant (Slime just gets pushed out of cracks and dries too fast in tyre).
    MIX is :-
    1 part liquid latex (mould builder)
    1 part slime (tubeless style for the bits in it)
    1 part antifreeze (cheap one)
    1 part water
    Add some glitter (a couple of sizes - for bits to fill gaps, must fit through valve stem)

I put 300mls into the tyre, inflated the tyre to 5lbs and rolled it around.Some came out of the cracks put tyre held air. Next mourning I took it for a run around on return
    found that air was slowly leaking out of some of the cracks. Took valve stem out and put 100mls liquid latex directly into tyre, re inflated. This was 10 days ago and I haven't put air into it since and it doesn't get treated lightly over rocks and ruts and swimming across the creek at least 4 times a day.
    This worked for me and maybe a way for some to still use their weather beaten balloon tyres that leak air.
    And I know not for everyone.

This was done on about 26/12/2009 finally put some air in yesterday. These tyres also have cracks in the tread area.

Thanks for the advice.The 1 gallon of slime worked on 3 of the 4 tires I put it in.That slime does just blow out of any large cracks or gashes.I even had the tires in the house a couple days to keep them at room temp.Where do I purchase this liquid latex glue?Between the 2 cans of fix a flat 30 ounces of slime you would think the slit would have sealed on the one tire by now.I am thinking about putting a spare tube of silicone in my caulk gun and push it in the gash and pump away.I know i will need to do the entire tire and wheel upgrade but I am going to need to sell some things first.

+ Reply to Thread