old ballon tires comparison to todays atv tires

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old ballon tires comparison to todays atv tires

old ballon tires comparison to todays atv tires

My question is with my older balloon tires that have about 1/2 tread and 2 tires have leaks I have a hard time just getting out of watery mud holes.Will the investment in new tires make a big difference in traction and driveability?The carlisle 101 seems to be the best tire but the tread does not seem much deeper than my current old balloon tires.I read many posts about new tires and the swimability but i have not found much info or reviews on how much improvement was made to the machines ability.Also wonder if the scramblers drivetrain can handle new 22x11x8 deep lug mud tires with 4 bolt rims.
    Last edited by flippy; 05-01-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Hey,

As for a scrambler drivetrain, I have no idea, I live in Canada, it's all Argos up here, that's pretty much it.

But right now, in my opinion your best tire would have to be the Carsile "Argo Tire".
    They used to use the 22-10-8 Runamuks on the Argos, but when they came out with the 24-11-8 Carsile Argo Tire, production of the Runamuk was stopped and the Argo Carsile was made in the 22-11-8 size so the old machines that were still running the Runamuks could switch to the updated tire. The 101 is a fine tire, but they are more of a hard surface tire, there lugs are not solid, they are broken, which decreases speed in water A LOT, plus they loose tons of traction in mud, not to mention, they are a hard tire which will not do your light driveline any good!

With the Argo Tire, they are a solid lug across the tire, looking similar to the Runamuk, but a much deeper tread, (7/8 I think?) and are nice and soft for your old axels. (Run MAX 2.5 PSI in them with those small axels)

Now, as for noticing a difference... it's like NIGHT AND DAY!
    I had an AATV, that was runnning GoodYear RawHides (Very similar to the 101), I switched them to the Carsile Argo tire, and I honsetly could not believe it...

With the 101 style tire, I had a very hard time climding out of holes, with the Argo tire, it was effortless. With the 101 style tire max water speed was 2kms, with the Argo tire it was 5.5kms!
    The only advantage the 101 style tire has over the Argo tire is that the Argo tire, like the Runamuk before it, is horrible in reverse, the 101 though have lots of lug to dig you out backwards, but in most cases anyway, that just gets you stuck more.

Best bet, go with the Carsile Argo tire, you won't regret it!

Hope that helped!

Thanks a million for the info.My scrambler has no reverse anyway.I just mounted a remote control harbor freight winch on the rear.These things are closeouts and it was only $40 out the door compared to the usual $100 price.Tires are going to be expensive no matter what brand which is why I asked the question.If I have to pay $20 more per tire thats fine if it makes the machine a better vehicle.

M7281358.jpgM7281359.jpgM7281357.jpgM7281356.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    .If I have to pay $20 more per tire thats fine if it makes the machine a better vehicle.
    Hey, no problem.

And just to tell you, the Carsile Argo Tire sells around 139.99 to 153.99 per tire with no rim, plus you are going to have to create an adapter for a 4 or 5 hole rim, but the adapters are fairly common. Oh... and sorry, that was my error, they are identical to the Runamuk, 22-10-8, not as I previously stated 22-(11)-8. See the photos of the tire.

Yes I have been checking out the prices on the argo tires.very expensive .Might have to wait awhile.I did spend all day yesterday patching the 3 leaking ballon tires and believe it or not they no longer leak.I cant really drive my scrambler till I go on vacation or till my yard dries up.I learned real quick that if i want a lawn then the scrambler is not to be driven .Half my yard is a mud pit.

My personal opinion on the balloon tires is they suck. Only things they are good for is ride quality and they make the machine handle better when turning because they skid so easily. I slide sideways down a hill once because of the stupid things. It flipped on the bottom. They where not bald but not 100% either. Probably 50% or something. Only other tire experience I have is goodyear rawhide terra which are like the at101 and Goodyear runnamuck. I like the terras better.

Yeah, but as I said, the Terras are a hard tire.

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Yeah, but as I said, the Terras are a hard tire.
    Hard riding but not hard to get around, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Hard riding but not hard to get around, lol.
    They are hard riding, and terrible in the mud in compasison to the Carlsile AT 189 (Argo Tire), which are nice and soft and out perform any terra style tire.
    I know... we did it with Hoots and Argos, switched from the terras to the AT 189s... we were shocked, you would be too if you stitched!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    They are hard riding, and terrible in the mud in compasison to the Carlsile AT 189 (Argo Tire), which are nice and soft and out perform any terra style tire.
    I know... we did it with Hoots and Argos, switched from the terras to the AT 189s... we were shocked, you would be too if you stitched!!
    Never mind, they will fit a scrambler. But they wont fit an attex without some body damage likely.

+ Reply to Thread