Best All-Around Tire for 2011 Argos?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best All-Around Tire for 2011 Argos?

Best All-Around Tire for 2011 Argos?

I understand that the newest Argo exclusive tire design is highly optimized for swimming, but is it truly the best option for all-around use? The Rawhide III and Kenda Executioner tread patterns and construction just seem so much more aggressive for trail riding, mud, and snow. Does anyone know if this is truly the case? Also, will a 25" tire directly retrofit on to a Frontier 6x6 with 24"s, assuming the rim size is the same (I assume there shouldn't be clearance issues)? ...In whole, I'm really wondering if there's a better tire option overall than the 24" that come on the 2011 Argo Frontiers? Thank you.

Well,

The Kenda and Rawhide Tires are junk on an AATV!

They are just as you said, a aggressive HARD PACK tire... I though the Argo was made for swamp, soupy mud, and wet conditions?

Well, that is why they now run the Carlisle AT 189 Argo Specially designed Tire.

A lot think this tire is JUST made for swimming, but it out preforms the Rawhide (and any sililar style tire) 10-1, I have tired it with a few different machines, the difference between the preformance of the Rawhide and the AT 189 is astonishing!

Lets not forget the concept of the Argo, it is designed to paddle, it has a low ground clearence, so by (which A LOT of people do) reversing their tires so they dig, the Argo or any Amphibious Machine for that matter will get stuck much eaiser... BECAUSE, with such low ground clearence, the LAST thing you want is for the machine to dig, when the tires dig on an AATV, it pulls it closer towards the ground, eventually just getting it hung up on it's belly, which is why aggressive tires are put on 4x4, because of there ground clearence, most of the time, with 2 feet and more of clearence, they can dig down to better ground, to get out of the hole... with an AATV running MAX 12 inches of clearence, that's not going to happen!

That is why Argo has the AT 189 tire, it dosen't dig in the mud per-say, but paddles the machine through it, this was the logic with the AATV... unlike a 4x4, when an AATV gets stuck, it's only stuck max 12 inches deep, or the machines ground clearence (12 inches MAX).

I am not sure if the 25" AT 189 fits on the Frontier models, but I do know it uses a bigger rim (9" instead of 8") than the 24" AT 189 tire, but I can't see why it wouldn't, my friend had a Frontier 650, and it looked like it had all kinds of clearence, both hieght and width wise... but again I'm not sure? I'm sure there's someone on this site that's did it?

And, I know some AATVs are used for racing and what not... but AATVs are made for swamp... not trail riding, that's a fact, hence they float!

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Well, The Kenda and Rawhide Tires are junk on an AATV!
    My junk Kendas had a great time trail riding at Busco.

I just got off the phone with Big 5 to double-check, and although she's a big fat green pig that rubs her belly in mud-holes a lot, she likes her junk Rawhide IIIs a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Well,

The Kenda and Rawhide Tires are junk on an AATV!
    The Rawhide tires are not at all "junk" on an AATV, especially since they were factory originals on thousands of AATVs produced over the past several decades. The 21" Goodyear Rawhide tires are in fact harder riding tires but swim very well and are decent in the mud. The 22" and 25" Goodyear Rawhide III tires are excellent riding tires. They're very smooth and give very good traction in the mud. They swim well, but not as fast as the 21" Rawhides.

There are so many "what's the best all around tire" threads, but I don't think there's one "perfect" tire out there. Just find the best one that works for you.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

JP is right, the best tire for you really depends on what you want to do with your machine. Rawhide III's will give you a smoother ride, but can't provide the mud traction you can get from Vampires or CST Anclas (the best performing mud tire I've ever seen for an ATV). Then, of course, for alot of water travel, the Argo AT189 tire is the best.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

When I said "The Kenda and Rawhide Tires are junk on an AATV!" I meant in comparison to the AT 189, the difference is like night and day, I was not saying the tire uneless or anything, but if you want a great all around water/soft and wet terrain tire, the AT 189 is the thing for you.

But as "Stonewall" said; "The best tire for you really depends on what you want to do with your machine." (Quoted in a way from Jp)

And, also, when I said that... I wasn't trying to offend anyone, that's just my opinion!

And "HydroMike" That's one wild looking Attex 8x8!!!

I don't have a 2011, but my tires are:-) I went with the new Argo heat tires. They swim, slow and steady, mud, hard pack and rocks are no match. I think they ride and turn much better than the rawhide 111s I had. They are 25" tires and here's a couple shots.

I'm glad to hear that most feel that the standard Argo tire is a great tire. I also think it's important to recognize that many of us are fortunate to have a diversity of terrain -- where we go from woods to fields to trails to streams to swamps, all in one ride -- so an "all-around" great tire truly is a fitting description for what's needed. Thank you.

I Have the Argo tires on the 2006 Avenger. I like the performance of the tires. I never like to get into a rock throwing contest and what i post is from what i have experienced myself from running both tires. The machine came with the Rawhide III tires which performed great. Then i acquired 8 of the New Argo 189 tires. Here is what i know about the tires. They are great swimmers and will handle about any terrain you can throw at them. Sand you will have to watch out for with any tire. They handle mud and snow pretty good. I think the 189 has added performance to the machine. The the best item about the Argo tires is their steering ability. They will respond to directional changes in water very well instead of lagging behind when you want to change direction. This is very important when choosing your exit from the water or mud hole. Pitfall of these tires...they are very expensive, but well worth the cost. Yes they are run on 9 inch rims. Remember anything can get stuck and as always we will be waiting with a camera for the picture.

Knowing how much they cost would i recommend them, yes... In my opinion knowing what a difference they made on MY machine i would buy 2 at a time if i had to. I feel it has made that much difference with my machine. This is just my opinion guys. I have ran them for over 16 months or so.

+ Reply to Thread