"Old" 3 lug hubs

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Old" 3 lug hubs

"Old" 3 lug hubs

Please pardon my ignorance,but are the 3 lug hubs that are pinned to the 1" dia. axles (old Attex stuff) considered a prized possesion or just old stuff laying around? Reason I ask is, I'm considering using some(if avail) to bolt to the axle and provide a "flange" for the 5 lug/4 1/2" circle flanges I will mfg. and weld to them.Thanks.

Joe.

I don't think anyone will cry if you do that. I was going to do the same thing bc my bolts are junk.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I think it's a fine idea, Joe. They're just made out of metal, and not that difficult to fabricate if anybody ever needed to have some made in the future.

The problem I'm having is finding some DOM tube with a nice ID at a reasonable cost,although, I could be looking for the wrong type of mat'l? The 1144 Stressproof I'm using for axles is aprox. .998/.999 dia. and the bearings slide on real nice,just assumed the dim for the ID of the tube to need to be aprox 1.000/1.002? Maybe (again) I'm putting too much thought into this one also? Should maybe think less and ask more!

Joe.

I've not mic'd the 1" ID DOM that I've used for hubs and sprocket tubes before. It just always seemed to fit well, and if it's a little loose on the end, I just reef down on the bolts a bit more.

It's good to think about it more; you're approaching it the right way. I tend to throw a "close enough" mentality at these sort of things from time to time. Have you grabbed a piece of DOM to test fit over your 1144 axles? I think I've paid between $4 and $6/ ft for the material.

[QUOTE=hydromike;93506]It's good to think about it more; you're approaching it the right way. I tend to throw a "close enough" mentality at these sort of things from time to time.

You also tend to "throw" a lot more machines onto the track and trails than I do too,LOL.
    Do you have a source for the tube? I asked the tubing vendor that I do aprox.$200/300K annually with to check the stock racks for bar ends/drops/ramdoms,or just bent up stuff with short sections of usable left(He knows what I'm doing with it) He came back to me with such a ridiculess price quote that I won't even publish it.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    You also tend to "throw" a lot more machines onto the track and trails than I do too,LOL.
    Throwing junk is easy! Picking up all the parts off of the trail and track is the hard part. Remember, I'm on a lot of medication.....

Honestly, I go to Metal Supermarkets for a good portion of the stuff I need. They just about always have stuff in stock, and hunting around for hardware and supplies really isn't my favorite part of the game. They have a location right up the shore from you in East Lake. I'd definitely give them a call, or just head up there if it's close enough and peruse through their racks. Show them the part you want to replace, and they can get you some comparable material. Bring your fancy-schmancy Lasalle Bombproof axles with you and see if they fit well before you purchase. The guys at the Buffalo office are pretty laid back. One of them actually used to build the frames on the Max machines, so we usually rap for a bit before getting down to brass tacks.

Give 'em a shout Joe.

East Lake Location
    (440) 942-0756
    1478 East 357th St.
    East Lake, OH 44095

Thanks Mike! Yes,I will call and possibly just go visit them. I spend 40+ hrs. a week on 345th st. Eastlake,Ohio 44095,go figure. I think Bridget would call this some Twilight Zone stuff,lol.

joe.

Well, cool! Close enough, then! I was wondering if it was on the other side of the city from you, but I guess this is a good excuse to get over there and check out all the cool stuff they have. The place by me does custom shearing and bending, too. They have a shear there that dims the lights three blocks over when they start it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Thanks Mike! Yes,I will call and possibly just go visit them. I spend 40+ hrs. a week on 345th st. Eastlake,Ohio 44095,go figure. I think Bridget would call this some Twilight Zone stuff,lol.

joe.
    Possibly go visit them, Joe? It's almost in your backyard.
    Do do do do..do do do do.

Bridget

+ Reply to Thread