Argo AT189 Tire PSI?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo AT189 Tire PSI?

Argo AT189 Tire PSI?

The Argo AT189 tire lists a max 7 PSI. Currently I'm at 4.5 PSI (via low-PSI pressure gauge). What do you guys suggest for a PSI for that tire on wooded trail terrain on a 6x6? Thank you.

1.5 - 2 psi if you are not going to encounter rocks large enough to pinch the sidewall against the rim.

Otherwise, 2.5 - 3 psi. The Argo tires give a great ride; even better at lower pressure.

Look in your owner's manual, they have recommendations for different type of terrain. I run mine at 3psi.

...The manual manual lists 2.0 to 7.0, but then just lists low, high, and highest. I'm thinking 5 PSI or so is about right for my terrain. Thanks.
    Last edited by pcmark; 06-10-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    ...The manual manual lists 2.0 to 7.0, but then just lists low, high, and highest. I'm thinking 5 PSI or so is about right for my terrain. Thanks.
    That's not what my manual says. 2.5 to 3.5 psi for the Carlisle 24x10.00-8, maximum operation pressure of 5 psi. 3.5 to 7 psi is listed for the 25" Rawhide.

There is a big difference in ride quality between 5 and 3 PSI as well. I would run 1.5 to 2 PSI unless you start losing beads and then you can raise the pressure up to 3 PSI. Really, on a basic trail, popping a tire off the bead shouldn't be an issue. That typically happens when you are in a rut and you hit the side of the rut with the tire and not the wheel.

From the 2011 Argo Owner's Manual:
    The tire pressure should be adjusted between 2.0 and 7.0 psi
    according to differences in terrain. Observance of these guidelines will lead to less wear & tear on both vehicle and tires.
    The operator should equip the vehicle with a low pressure tire
    gauge (Part No. 619-10) and with a hand pump.
    RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES for TERRAIN
    Soft Ground:
    Low Pressure • On soft terrain, use lower pressure.

Hard Ground:
    Higher Pressure • On hard terrain and water, use higher pressure.

Rocky Ground:
    Highest Pressure • On rough or rocky terrain, fill to, but not more than the recommended range indicated on the tire sidewall.

If you believe that the manual is a better resource, why seek experienced opinions here- ?

Bud, I sought the advice of experienced users her because, per above, the Owner's Manual is vague and unclear -- and peer advice is always a meaningful addition to manufacturers' recommendations. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread