Track Repair

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Track Repair

Track Repair

I have a hustler 950, about an 1984. Anyone know where to get the metal rods that hold the tracks together? The tracks I have, all the rods were rusted. Also when my friend and I put the tracks on to try them out. Is there an easier way to put them on? We about died trying to install them. Are the tracks suppose to be sloppy or loose so that the tires just roll in them or are they suppose to fit so that the tires wont spin in them?

I have the same problem. Unless you use stainless steel (very expensive) rust will be a problem. I bought a few brass brazing rods (3/16") to try, threading the ends 12nc24, using stainless nuts. Biggest problem is getting old rusted pieces out. Any ideas here?
    Don't know much about track tension, looser is better than too tight.

I havent tried removing the rods. I will in the near future. I'll attempt to make a clamp that I can fix to the tread. Same concept as a "C" clamp. Pushing the rods out. Im also going to try a heat gun as well to warm the plastic. As for replacement rods. Im not gonna use SS. Im using aluminum rods. The way the treads are mated together. The aluminum wont be subjected to bending. Ill make the rods so that they can only be inserted from one side and they will have a right angle bend at its end. Instead of just putting a typical nut on the end of each rod to secure their position. Im looking more at the type fasteners you see that holds the handles on a hand saw. They are called sex screws. This way they will be flush with the tracks surface.

i just did this job on my argo .if you like to look at thread it is there a big job non the less not sure if aluminum will hold up the wear on the steel was unbelievable

if you like to look at thread

Im not sure I follow what your saying.

look on argo if you want to see what i did .and the response. to such. But bascially i used 1/4 steel rod cold galv. them then a bit of never seize i turned the keepers on my lathe tapped for set screw. I tried to sace them in the beging the pins i mean after a bit i used a thin wheel cut off for grinder to cut the track apart at the pins never did hit the plastic much easier to get little pins out than one big one.once i was set up at lathe and table it went pretty quick but it was a fight in the start.

how about a link to it. Im new at this site and navigation gets the better of me.

+ Reply to Thread