Home made rubber tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made rubber tracks

first full day of riding on the new tracks :

1. as Tim of Adair Argo told me, the tire guides are rough on the tire sidewalls, I will have to make them smoother where it was laser cut.

2. the maxxis snow tires are way too soft for regular tire guides. the 4snow tires are ok in the plastic argo tracks with LARGE tire guides but too soft for the steel tire guides.

here is a picture taken by Martwell :

2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Your max sure sounded good.

it performed as it should !!

Sortie St-Calixte - a set on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    it performed as it should !!

Sortie St-Calixte - a set on Flickr
    Those are some great looking pics....I bet you all had a great day out playing in the snow.

Did you encounter any problems with the tracks????

How are the steel track guides on the tires????? any damage to the sidewalls????

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    Those are some great looking pics....I bet you all had a great day out playing in the snow.

Did you encounter any problems with the tracks????

How are the steel track guides on the tires????? any damage to the sidewalls????
    No problem with the tracks, always had a lot of traction. The tracks seems to do better at low speed than full rage full throttle uphill climbing. Low speed make it cling to the slopes a lot better.

Yes I have to make the guide edges a bit smoother as the very soft maxxis tires are showing a lot of sidewall rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by smog View Post
    first full day of riding on the new tracks :

1. as Tim of Adair Argo told me, the tire guides are rough on the tire sidewalls, I will have to make them smoother where it was laser cut.

2. the maxxis snow tires are way too soft for regular tire guides. the 4snow tires are ok in the plastic argo tracks with LARGE tire guides but too soft for the steel tire guides.

Keep in mind we were 4 inside the Max IV and the tracks made a fantastic job in the fluffy snow.

and I had another idea for home made track guides :

it's just an unfinished guide but I made it with galvanised electrical conduit. It's cheap and will not rust.
    the flats were made with a standard bench vise and the bend was formed by pressing the edge of a T on the tube.

It's an idea, don't call me back if it doesn't cure cancer or destroy your AATV.

Last edited by smog; 01-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.

hey Smog...havent heard from you for a while...hope all is well :-)

thinking about how to update your wheel guide concept...how about if you start with another batch of guides identical to the first set, but this time make the two outer mounting flange bends first, and then string each unfinished guide with a piece of rubber hose (or some type of hose that is not to sticky..like aqua plex, or underground black water line tubing)....looks like it would slide on pretty easy from the side with the lesser angle...then make the center bend and let it crush the hose also....seems like you might get a softer curve at the top of the guide which will save a lot of wear and tear on the side walls...and if you play with the width of your metal guide, you could probably get a really nice fit inside of whatever hose you chose to use...my guess is that this design change might be easy enough on the tires that you could run the soft 4-SNOW tires for a couple more seasons :-)

best of luck to you! and hope to see more winter deep snow videos of you and your friends before the snow is all gone

tim

Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm working hard to build my own business ( www.northernliftgates.com ) going from my welder pants to the dressed suit and tie to meet clients for commercial presentation.

The tracks are performing perfectly but I have an issue with the clutching as the High rpm bandolero engine can't be unleashed and is held back to very low rpm under load....

as for the tire guides, Tim of Adair Argo told me the sleeved tube could be a solution to save the crappy tires.

I don't have a closer picture but here are Martwell's tire guides, you can see he installed the guides at a 7.5" pitch, the guides have a very sharp top "curve" but he never had a problem with the old runamuk.

I will keep the 4snow tires and just sand/grind the sharp edges on the tire guides.

Last edited by smog; 01-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Update on the DIY rubber tracks

He had a ride yesterday with 10 other members/family from Sentier6x6.

The 15" rubber tracks performed very well in the "coarse salt" dry snow condition. The Max IV climbed the sloped trails with ease, I never had to be towed by another AATV. the deep lugs grip is just amazing. This cheap set of tracks was even performing after all the plastic tracks ripped the snow off the trails leaving exposed rock/ice/frozen stumps.

I am very happy of this 750$ DIY track set.

Something people on a budget who want to ride in snow should consider.

NO it is not a track set for summer, NO it shouldn't swim. IF you are looking for mud/swimming, get a set of Adair tracks

Last edited by Mike; 02-12-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic to keep everything in one place

Smog,

Did you ever change anything on the tire guides to smooth them out? I remember you posting that they were scuffing the Maxxis tires and that was a concern. What did you come up with for a solution?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

+ Reply to Thread