Tracks for max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracks for max II

Tracks for max II

Any suggestions for tracks on a max II? Not looking to spend 2grand. I can buy a used snowmobile for 1500? Any suggestions? Maybe just sell the max,for 4x4 at least it will go in snow. 9grand for new machine, 2grand for tracks, 2500 for snow plow, and winch, 200 for heated throttle cable, buying six tires not four. Max, Argo, mudoxx, do your homework, put out more realistic prices. No wonder attex never made it. People do live south of the Canada, and buffalo, not to mention Russia. Argo, max are you telling me your engineers can't put shocks and a real price tag on these machines. Come on it comes stock with a lawn tractor engine. (Lawn Tractor 21hp 50'inch cut 1500$)
    Last edited by Mike; 01-19-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: moved thread from general discussion to the track forum

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your intent here.
    Are you asking for ways to make your MaxII go through the snow in ways that fit your budget? Please tell us what your budget is.
    Are you asking if a MaxII was really appropriate for your personal needs? Please tell us what your needs are?
    Are you asking why amphibs and their accessories are so expensive?
    Are you asking why more technical improvements have not been made, i.e. suspension?
    OR, are you just venting? I can certainly relate to that. In this poor economy, it seems that money comes in way too slowly, but prices continue to rise....I say we blame it on the politicians. I don't like them anyway!

sounds like you had a bad time. I find it hard to believe that a 4x4 can out do a 6x6 in anything besides speed and smooth ride stock. And if you look around the site there are alot of mods out there for speed and smoother ride. For $9000 you could get a Max II fully loaded with most you said. Prices have went up but so has everything else and last time I looked 4 wheelers are just as much with one less axle, can't float, and mud like a 6x6. But those prices are for brand new. You can find a used one for little to nothing.
    Last edited by CBass; 01-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

I think if you go buy a new 4x4 with plow and winch, a new skidoo, a new boat and trailer to transport your boat and then compare prices you will find a new 6x6 is very cheap and can go a lot of places and can be used all year long. If you want to buy everything used then you can also find a cheap used 6x6 with tracks as well and still used it all year long. I have a used 6x6 with tracks that I paid $2200 for. I have a nephew that paid $14000 for a new skidoo that he he sunk thru the ice and had to pay another $3000 to get fixed. Another $10000 for a 4x4 For that price you can get a new 6x6 with all the options.

Everyone has their reasons for getting what they want and for what purpose. I enjoy my argos but I still have a 4x4 and dirtbikes.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

$9495 is the current base price for a MaxII Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 - Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    That has the 18hp briggs. The 16hp is no longer available.
    Member jimleadfoot has a MaxII with tracks for sale....sitting at my hose right now...if anyone is interested.
    Attached Images

2 grand for tracks isn't too bad. If you look on Craig's list under rv's in Pittsburgh, there are used tracks for quads that are listed for $3500. I know there is a nice pair of max iv tracks on eBay and the seller started the bidding at $1500. Seems to me there is a $2000 savings to track an amphib over a quad using nice used tracks. Sure you can get a sled for less. I have seen them go as cheap as free, but last year there was no snow and this year what we have received has melted already. I hope it comes back, but if it doesn't, how useful is a sled? You seem to be complaining about 6x6's like I would complain about a Ferrari if I ever got my hands on one. None the less, it is not the manufactures fault if everyone can't afford it new or can't afford the extras they want.

I'm just saying 20,000 for a machine that won't go in snow. I have a max 2 (2001) few hours looks like new. Why does a machine that has five chains ten gears and 18 horse lawn and garden tractor mower, with a 600 dollar trany and a 100 dollar body cost 10,000. I can understand making money, but flat out robbing people is just wrong. No wonder why everyone in the world has heard of a Honda but not an Argo or max. It doesn't matter what my budget is 3500 for new tracks that won't go in snow without cleats is bull****.

Robbing people? $20,000 for a machine that won't go in snow? $100 body, $600 transmission? You're just saying? No, you're just wrong and you have no clue about what the costs an AATV manufacturer incurs. And what has ten gears and five chains? A Max II has 16 sprockets if you're including the ones on the T-20 and 8 chains, and it has clutches, wiring, 6 wheels and tire, a dozen bearings, seats, axles, tons of nuts and bolts, etc, etc. They're not Ford or GM producing thousands of units, these companies are building a somewhat low volume number of machines. This topic has been discussed a few times before so instead of typing it all over again, I'll just copy and paste it from a previous post and then you can try learning and taking all of the facts into account before you go off on an uninformed rant. Here it is, posted in response to a new member that had that same outlook as you do:

"First off, your comment about AATVs being a product that isn't much more advanced than a go cart with a plastic tub missed the mark. There were a couple other members that were on the site for a very brief time that continuously pitched similar comments and some were even bashing AATVs. All the other members weren't very receptive to them and the negativity of their comments so they were simply taken with a grain of salt and everyone else just moved about their business and discussed these great machines in more of a constructive manor. Yes, they are simple compared to some other things out there, but they work GREAT (better than any 4 wheeler in the mud), they're cheap and easy to fix (price a Yamaha or Honda 4 wheeler rebuild against an Attex or Max), they are what started the ATV market, and we all like them so that's pretty much the end of the story on that. Now, let me clear things up for you about the price. Do you think they produce thousands and thousands of AATVs every year? No, it's a niche market. I'll break it down for you a bit. Here are just a few things regarding the manufacturing process of these machines. They use large aluminum molds to make the bodies that cost $50,000+, they have parts like axles, throttle cables, wiring harnesses, frames, and other mechanisms that are specifically made for them in somewhat small quantities, not in quantities of 10,000+ at a time. They have to have all the transmission parts specifically machined to their specs, they have to buy engines, clutches, belts, bearings, chain, wheels, tires, etc, etc. When manufacturers have to purchase all these parts in smaller quantities, especially the ones that are model specific to their machines it's not going to be cheap for them. You have to figure in all the overhead of a business that makes AATVs as well.....for example, the utility bills that the factory has to pay. Every year prices go up. You have to keep in mind ALL of the costs these companies incur; the external factors that drive these costs, the logistics, labor, taxes/fees, costs of plant, property, and equipment......these all are figured into the books and they price the vehicles accordingly. You have to keep in mind that AATV manufacturers are not huge companies like Ford or GM so their profit margins producing significantly fewer units will be smaller than a large company so drastic changes to the product line aren't always cost feasible. I've been in the business world and I teach how businesses work. I'll let some folks that run small business like Whipper and Bridget of Apache Gear chime in and explain this as well. Many people ask the same thing, "why do they charge so much for these basic machines?" but they don't think about everything I described."

You should probably rant and swear about something that you're not aware of somewhere else because it doesn't contribute anything helpful or positive to this site. Thanks.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I don't think this went well.

Bashing AATV's on a AATV site. Listen if you want a machine for less than 20,000. You can get it, and there has been improvements to the machines that make them a lot more than a 4 wheeler, but if you feel a 4 wheeler is more suited for your application please buy one and come ride with us and do what we do. (Please no riding on the safe trails when there is no mud) Everyone to his own. I drive my Avenger in the snow with no tracks but up North i think they are a good idea.

I always hate to see this type of thread where bashing machines seems to be the topic. The prices are what they are but you can build your own as some have and have a great machine or you can buy a used but very good quality machine. No one is saying you have to have a new machine to participate in this sport. This site has a wealth of people with parts, machines and knowledge to help it's member but if you poke them in the eye with a stick you will generally get a negative response.

So what exactly are you looking for and what price range?

Lewis
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Counting, math, and reality not your best subjects in school I see. I was out in 18 inches of fresh powder with tracks and no cleats with no problems. Our Canadian members to out in much more snow! If you would like a driving lessen we can probably arrange it, but it wouldn't matter anyway. Some people have hidden agenda's and your's seems to be selling against our hobby. My guess is your income comes from the non amphibious ATV market.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread