Installed new Adair tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installed new Adair tracks

Installed new Adair tracks

Installed new Adair 18" tracks on 2009 Frontier 8x8. Aired up to 5psi as RD stated in his install video. My question is how much slack should be in the tracks. I'm concerned about to much tension on axle bearings. The joiners were a pain to install even with tires deflated. The joiners are different from the ones you show in the video RD but the same principal applied. The tracks have little sag so I'm wondering if I'm running to much air. Tried them Sunday and I'm impressed with the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Installed new Adair 18" tracks on 2009 Frontier 8x8. Aired up to 5psi as RD stated in his install video. My question is how much slack should be in the tracks. I'm concerned about to much tension on axle bearings. The joiners were a pain to install even with tires deflated. The joiners are different from the ones you show in the video RD but the same principal applied. The tracks have little sag so I'm wondering if I'm running to much air. Tried them Sunday and I'm impressed with the performance.
    Those 18" tracks are a very stable unit and do not move in and out very much as they rotate on your wheels. You can check your slack three ways, jack the machine up and see how much the tracks sag (should be about two inches), or-roll the machine to make sure the tracks are on uniformly then go to the middle of the machine grab the tracks at the top and shake it (as long as mine moved about an inch up or down I was happy)- or you can drive it slowly and listen, if you have to much play in the tracks you'll be able to tell just by the sound. Adjustment is as easy as letting a little air out or putting a little more in.

B.A.

Once your Adair tracks get broke in, you,ll have a little more track sag underneath the middle tires. You're going to love running the Adair tracks and see the places they will take your machine with so little effort.

Thanks for the info Guys. Does anyone have close up photos of the Adair ice cleats installed. I'm thinking of ordering some. I have a steep climb to the Argo storage shed.

Like this

Or like this:

RD

Thanks for the pictures R.D is that a through bolt or self tapping screw in the cleat.

ask and ye shall receive. lol Great pics Kyle I really like the new style metal cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Thanks for the pictures R.D is that a through bolt or self tapping screw in the cleat.
    That one is actually just a broken bolt that I placed in the hole for the pic.
    When properly mounted, each Cleat has 2 bolts through it (One from each side). I would not recomend "Self Tappers", I don't think they would last. Mine are all bolted through the Cleats and Grousers. I put a Cleat on every 5th Grouser, and staggered them. It's hard to see in the pic, but every 2nd cleat is offset from the one on either side of it. Not enough clearance under the fender to mount cleats, so all of them are outside the lower tub.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    ask and ye shall receive. lol Great pics Kyle I really like the new style metal cleats.
    Look what they did to the road when I cracked a brake

RD

I will be placing an order tomorrow. If anyone is buying new tracks for winter use I would recommend adding them to the order. It will save the extra shipping you will have to pay when you realize you need them and make a separate order. Live and learn. Thanks for the quick reply R.D.

+ Reply to Thread