New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

with these tracks on a 6x6 frontier do you need track tuners do disengage the middle wheels to minimise chain windup...thanks

I believe this is the same type of track I had purchased from a fellow named Marcel Couseneau in Quebec, at (couseneaumarcel@hotmail.com) this year for my 2007 Agro Avenger with aggressive tires as you noted. Half the price of others and they work really well. My unit is no speed demon but I was impressed with how well they worked in water and snow. Would like to attach a pic for your reference but I am really green to the site so have not figured out how to achieve this yet. Harold.
    Last edited by ArgoBill; 12-13-2014 at 09:32 PM.

hey guys..i know this track fits different tire sizes...what i would like to know is : how far is the belt from the tires with 24x10x8 frontier tires...thanks..is it touching the flanks of the tire on both sides .

I don't know if this answers your question, but Marcel sizes (bends) the grousers to the width of the tire used. He told me that with the 10" wide tires he can only do a 19" wide track max. The 11" wide tires I use on my 20" wide Chanel tracks has an approx 1/2 gap or so on the side between the belt and the tires. This varies a bit as the track will move a bit side to side.

you can easily cut the belting back if you want more clearance to the tire sidewall. If it's done correctly, the belting should sit out a good 1/2" from the top portion of the grouser-guide. You still want the grouser's guides to fit the sidewall width of the tire w/o being sloppy though.

Project "Super Chanel Track" (?)

Not being one to leave "well enough alone" I started pondering the possibilities of making these great tracks even better in my conditions, which is primarily deep and often powdery snow. I lucked into some free 6" wide 3 ply (1/2) thick belting from some genorous guys at a local conveyor belt shop when I was buying some Flexco 550 hinge and a belt punch/bit from them. They gave me two 40 foot rolls of it! My plan is to mount a 6" wide outer belt on the grousers and then add some 2"x2" aluminum angle on the inner and outer belt to give me some paddles in the deep stuff. So wider 22" track for 20% more floatation and paddles for more bite. In theory it sounds good. I saw a recent ad (Kiji ?) for Marcel/Chanel track that stated he made them 18-22", so maybe he is already doing this type of set up.2015-01-01 17.28.41.jpg2015-01-01 17.31.51.jpg

I took the outer 4" belt off and used it for a template on the wider belt. I got one wider belt mounted today and am starting to mount the paddles. I also am getting a pair of the knobby tires that Old Tucker is using in his Chanels to either put one in each rear position or one in from and one in back to help with some tire slippage I making sharp turns at slow speeds or stopped. Here are some pics of the track so far:

Verry nice job !!

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Not being one to leave "well enough alone" I started pondering the possibilities of making these great tracks even better in my conditions, which is primarily deep and often powdery snow. I lucked into some free 6" wide 3 ply (1/2) thick belting from some genorous guys at a local conveyor belt shop when I was buying some Flexco 550 hinge and a belt punch/bit from them. They gave me two 40 foot rolls of it! My plan is to mount a 6" wide outer belt on the grousers and then add some 2"x2" aluminum angle on the inner and outer belt to give me some paddles in the deep stuff. So wider 22" track for 20% more floatation and paddles for more bite. In theory it sounds good. I saw a recent ad (Kiji ?) for Marcel/Chanel track that stated he made them 18-22", so maybe he is already doing this type of set up.Attachment 13104Attachment 13105

I took the outer 4" belt off and used it for a template on the wider belt. I got one wider belt mounted today and am starting to mount the paddles. I also am getting a pair of the knobby tires that Old Tucker is using in his Chanels to either put one in each rear position or one in from and one in back to help with some tire slippage I making sharp turns at slow speeds or stopped. Here are some pics of the track so far:
    Wow! Those look like they are going to be great for your conditions. I love folks who can never leave good enough alone!

^^^^^^
    seems similar to my thoughts about outter belt being made of snowmobile tracks.

I like what I see and cant wait to see video n pics when done
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Finally Done with Chanel "Supertrack/winter kit" modification.

After a lot of unbolting, drilling, and re-bolting the modifications to my Chanel tracks are complete. I put the 6" wide outer belt on. Bolted 2" tall x 3" wide aluminum angle on between every other grouser on both the inner and outer belt. And to stop tire slippage I put two 1/4" hex bolt approx 3" apart from the center of each "chanel" of the grousers. The hex heads keep the tires from slipping and also seem to keep the tires centered in the track/grousers. I also shortened the tracks by 1 1/2" as I think they were a little loose. Four Flexco 550 lacing clamps fit perfectly on the 6" wide belt.

I only got to take in for the a spin in the front yard in 6" of wet snow. Everything seems to be running very smooth. I am going to take it up to the high country this weekend to shake it down in some real snow and will report back. Here are some pics on them installed.2015-01-12 19.07.41.jpg2015-01-12 19.08.03.jpg2015-01-12 19.08.27.jpg2015-01-12 19.09.23.jpg2015-01-12 19.12.33.jpg

+ Reply to Thread