New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread: New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

Still love my Chanels too, very good all round performance. I have been disappointed with the lack of snow this year, Had 1.5' for three weeks and was enjoying that, then had pretty warm weather went down to 8". Just got another 7" but I do not think it will last long anymore. With up to 3' of snow I have had no problems with the stock Chanel tracks mostly unloaded, I still want to build a winter kit but did not need it yet.

Hi i tried mine in deep snow this year. amazing is my word. A question, I saw some people put "flexco 550 hinges" as a joint instead of overlapping. Can anybody tell me to find them in canada and how much
    Jack

Got mine out of Winnipeg, but cannot remember the name of the company. Just Google flexco bolted hinge and in search tools click Canada. there will be many places that you can get it. Check your local conveyor belting supplier they should be able to get also. Fastenal is a dealer also. I love the 550 hinges, turn much nicer than the overlap at higher speeds and cooler temps. One major warning measure the track length three times and cut at least a couple inches longer than you think you need for proper length.

I've used the flexco 550's a lot, but in my opinion, the overlap has many advantages if done properly. 1) More distance from the through-bolt holes to the belt end (as compared to a hinge-body through-bolt). 2) doesn't require a separate horizontal-facing hinge pin (or bolt) that can work loose. 3) the elimination of clearance issues from hinge-pin bolt head or threads possibly rubbing tire sidewall or machine tub/skid-plate.
    On the other hand, vertical-facing through-bolts (facing same direction as rest of grouser bolts), inherently take very little stress or movement and absolutely will not come off. The nuts (even with backer washers) never face constant rocking back and forth that a metal hinge causes. Vertical through bolts also can never cause any rubbing complaints on hard turning maneuvers. The vertical bolts go through the elevated belt with is off the ground under the machine, and far below the level of the grouser when above the tires.
    The elevated belt tracks are the easiest tracks to shorten/lengthen, splice together, or even change locations of belt-end connection points.
    Make sure on vertical-facing through-bolts that they face the exact same direction as the rest of the grouser bolts. You want a low-profile and rounded/countersunk thick/heavy backer washer on the tire sidewall side, and the bolt threads facing the ground.
    So I guess what I'm saying, is it's not worth spending money or monkeying with your track simply to get easier installation. I have learned that an overlap joint used in the same way as a metal hinge joint is better and the installation is exactly the same. You want the overlap (or double layer) to exist only between the last grouser on each end of the track. It's tons of meat to go through and very strong. You should never have to mess with additional grousers to deal with an overlap, or remove your tires.
    10" wide tires can get away with a metal hinge and horizontal pin because a 10" tire inherently has +1" extra clearance (to the inside machine tub side) when compared to a 12" wide tire given the same wheel spacer used. I prefer to use factory spacers when I consider the clearances I'm talking about.
    Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if you need more help.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking of using hinges too but found out that it would almost be the same trouble than the overlap. I use a chain block to put the tracks together and it works fine. By the way I brook a grouser this winter doing that but I think it was too cold. Minus 30. but I brook an axel on the lake so had to fix it on the lake.
    Jack

Ordered my tracks yesterday, installing on a 2009 Argo Avenger 750 EFI with 25" Carlisle tires

Congrats! What width did you go with? and what conditions are you going to be using them in?

I bought some used last week, the guy said they came from Quebec. He said they are 20" wide but they look 18" wide to me, same width as my plastic supertracks on the conquest. Will be testing them out in the muskeg next week for 8 days in moose country. Some vids may be in order.

I went with Chanel, 20", overlap, going to use them mainly In the winter for ice fishing and 2 weeks of moose season, we do a lot of water hunting so will be skidding boats various equipment in the bush, we also have a J5 for REAL heavy work

Congrats, let us know how they work for you.!!! I still want to build a winter kit for mine and the "BUZZ" swim Mod. But have not got around to it yet.
    Last edited by SHOTGUN; 08-26-2016 at 02:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread