hybrid crosser

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hybrid crosser

HI Buzz
    where do you buy the UHMW from? I have a set of real nice Yamaha snowmobile tracks that I want to you on my 2000 MAX II (another forum members idea) your new grosser looks like it will work perfect to bolt onto the outside of the sled tracks. Did you use a router to cut the radius? and if so what size bit did you use?
    thanks for all the pictures and information you have posted.

Larry

I'll get it from ak rubber up here frequently, sometimes shop around online and start making phone calls. Shipping freight is a big factor for us.

tire guides are expensive to buy or time consuming to make. Trying to make standard guides out of UHMW for a flat track like you describe would be expensive. Might be cheaper (still not cheap though) to get argo tire guides for that purpose. But I understand wanting to use free snowmachine track belting if you have it.

Your snowmachine belting should have rods embedded in it already for lateral stability, and you can bolt on pieces of angle iron, or even an additional winter kit for more floatation and traction if needed. If you want to use full-width angle, just round up some conveyor belting. After all, that's all snow-cat tracks are.

My guide blocks were cnc routered, let me check on the bit for you. You could make square ones that I think would work just fine though.
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrewls View Post
    Interesting Buzz Cant wait to see the vids!

Rock
    Like a knucklehead, my track was about 6 inches short.......I forgot that I dropped the belt location 1/2". Dumb dumb dumb. Anyway, I made up an extension and took it for a short ride. It's got some serious bite that's for sure. There's probably an 8 or 9 inch gap w/o a crosser where I made the extension, so I have to make up another one, and trim the inner belting 1/2" while I have it off, then it's ready to go for some video. It will be 23 1/2" wide.

I might get some center half-track video today though with any luck.

here's a couple pics of the track mounted from the other day. Full-width 3/16" angle iron track w/UHMW elevated belt guides. Doesn't tear up my cement garage. Straight bolts or points might, but straight flat metal doesn't seem to hurt it. It leaves marks every else though I'll get some video tomorrow. Forgot to bring home a jug of diesel the other day...the gauge finally got down there.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-12-2014 at 12:20 AM.

I like the tracks their buzz. It will be interesting to see how they work out. Looks like you have good paddle size on every crosser. Should give you lots of bite. 23.5 wide I like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    I like the tracks their buzz. It will be interesting to see how they work out. Looks like you have good paddle size on every crosser. Should give you lots of bite. 23.5 wide I like
    thanks! I'll see what I can get on video for some input.

I await your vids sir they look interesting!! Have you weighed them??

Rock

short video of the angle iron paddle track (I guess that's what you call it). You've seen some of the terrain around the house. Hopefully it helps to show the "bite" of steel when climbing. If I make another set of these, I'll make the paddle guides taller and the steel contact patch narrower. They still maneuver pretty well though.

Last edited by Buzz; 04-13-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    short video of the angle iron paddle track (I guess that's what you call it). You've seen some of the terrain around the house. Hopefully it helps to show the "bite" of steel when climbing. If I make another set of these, I'll make the paddle guides taller and the steel contact patch narrower. They still maneuver pretty well though.

Wow that thing is a beast, climbing over trees going up hill? Stopping and counter rotating going up hill to miss trees? Knocking down trees while crossing tree trunks that have fallen to the ground. Impressive, Climbing up snow banks? Does that system swim? Do those steel plates tear up the tires??Looks as your track system has no limits crossing bad terrain, hope the rest works as well as their ability to navigate difficult terrain.

Dan, no problems with the 3/16" angle iron. The vertical legs stay vertical under the tire and don't fold over. Crossers are sandwiched tight and stay plumb.
    No wear or damage on the tire tread or sidewall. The belting is cut back/beveled as usual. The guides are uhmw and rounded-over. The edges of the horizontal legs of the angle-iron are also rounded over. The tread just rolls over them anyway.
    Probably an average swimmer, but I don't know- we are just now starting to melt around here.
    It works great, but like anything, there are a few things I would tweak.
    I "might" come back to this crosser after a bit.
    Dan, I really look forward to seeing some more 16" Vendetta action. I'm starting to look pretty hard at a set myself! I remember hearing you talk of a new machine too (I think)....

+ Reply to Thread