hybrid crosser

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hybrid crosser

hybrid crosser

here's another experiment.
    1" x 1" x 3/16 steel angle. UHMW guide-paddles. 1/2" thick UHMW backer plates and grade-8 hardware.

channel-iron would work well with this set-up too. If you "step" the outside of the guide paddles, you can decrease the ground contact width by about 4", but you have to adjust the tire-guide area to leave more material for an additional inner bolt...if that makes any sense at all.
    Attached Images

Wow! Very nice work Buzz-the steel and UHMW look as if they will work great in ice, frozen terrain or other extreme conditions, what does a set cost to make? What would they sell for? How soon before you test them? How much do they weigh? Will they swim? Are you going to put these on your Diesel Mudd Ox????

Very nice Buzz My question is. When do you fine the time to play? You are so buzzy building things things. I think those are going to work out great. Now which way would you run them? With the angle facing front or back, I think I would have the leading long edge forward in that way the edge will always be clean and the snow and ice may build up on the back of the angle. I found that with the paddles I put on my tracks the back side of the angle will have snow built up a little but the leading edge is always clean giving me a good clean edge that will bit into the snow.

They do look good I must admit that

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    here's another experiment.
    1" x 1" x 3/16 steel angle. UHMW guide-paddles. 1/2" thick UHMW backer plates and grade-8 hardware.

channel-iron would work well with this set-up too. If you "step" the outside of the guide paddles, you can decrease the ground contact width by about 4", but you have to adjust the tire-guide area to leave more material for an additional inner bolt...if that makes any sense at all.
    Looks interesting Buzz. I would be interested to see how the mating surfaces or joints hold up after 50 hours and more. I was thinking of a design a year or so ago that would bolt together but the engineers at the company next to my shop talked me out of it saying that they felt bolting the UHMW to other parts would not last over time and just work loose. Never know till you try though sometimes.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Dan- yep I'm gonna put them on the ox first. I don't know how much they weigh yet (my back tells me maybe 140 lbs when I'm scooting them around, but I'll figure that out). There's less UHMW but way more labor. I'm going to build the other track today and hopefully put them on to run today. I know they'll paddle, probably no better than anything else especially since they have some weight you know. Cost depends on how you cut the blocks. We CNC'd these with the typical curve on the inside, but I think a guy could acutally use square-shaped blocks with the elevated design, and it would still work very well. So you could turn it into a chop saw, drill press, and table-saw job. You'd still want to router the guide edges, but you could do that with any router.
    It does eliminate the washer weight and gives a tall traction cleat 1" w/o sacrificing tub clearance.
    I gotta see if there are any unforeseen problems when running it, so I can tell folks to scrap the idea if that's the case.

Old Tucker- I plan to run with the angle forward just like you're thinking. It does take time alright, but it's fun! I just try to plan ahead so when I get days off from work I can hammer something out. I have a pretty good system, but it definitely takes a little time.

holy crap buzz,you must own a rubber belting factory.lol

BUZZ How tall are the crossers on the Escargo track?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    BUZZ How tall are the crossers on the Escargo track?
    1.25 under tire, 2 7/8" tread-to-belt mount surface, 3/8" thick belt on top. (typically) for the 25" tire

These hybrids just have the belt 1/2" lower with the remaining guide (1/2") placed on top. The under tire area is 1" on these.

Plan to test drive tomorrow

Interesting Buzz Cant wait to see the vids!

Rock

+ Reply to Thread