How can I tell if I have k lock wheels??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I tell if I have k lock wheels??

How can I tell if I have k lock wheels??

I know this topic has been discussed, but I can't for the life of me find the thread! I've been having a hard time keeping my tires on the rims. I have a 94 max II with the 21x11x8 Goodyear rawhide (original style).

About a month ago, I went on a mid poker run. I was the only 6x6 there, and seemed like it was everyone's first time seeing one of these! There was a pretty good size mud pit all these side by sides and four wheelers were getting stuck in. Apparently it was the "main attraction" because EVERYONE was huddled around this cheering as people went in and got stuck. Then I hear from the coordinator on his mega phone "where's the beaver retriever?!" (That's the name of mine) I literally walked through it....3 times just to rub it in. I was having a blast until on time number 4, it stopped moving. Thought I was stuck on something, but with everyone pointing, I peaked over and saw 3 tires (front and middle left, and right front) rolled off the rim. Had to tow it out of there with my truck. Talk about embarrassment!!!

So with that little story being told, what's the secret? I'm running 4 psi, now 5 hoping to keep them on. I've read about k-lock, and can't find a photo. I am going to try to post a pic on here of what I have, but only have an iPad....we will see if I can figure it out. Thanks for any input.....I'll also try to find the video

Well unfortunately, I found the video, but because of bad language, and more importantly I can't figure out how to post it....Its a no go. But more importantly, here is a picture of the wheel in hopes that someone can tell if it's a "k lock" wheel or not. Or better yet, based on the wheel, what pressure should I run to avoid blowing the bead.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mikey,

K-locks don't look a whole lot different than a regular 8" (or 9") rim. The main difference is a higher bead locking ridge on the outside of the rim, where the tire bead lies. I don't recall how much higher it is than a standard ATV rim, but I doubt it's much more than 0.0030" or so. It doesn't take much to make a big difference. Every K-lock that I've seen actually has KMM stamped near the bead on the inside of the rim, standing for Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, which makes the wheels for RI/Mudd-Ox. I don't know if they were all like this or not... On my 8" K-locks, my luge holes aren't beveled for cone-shaped lug nuts, but I see yours are. Again, I don't know if they were all this way or not.

Hey thanks for the reply! I plan on doing some maintenance to it this weekend and will have the wheels off. I'll look to see if I see any stamping. Regardless, I think I might throw some tubes in the tires in hopes of having a second line of defense

If your not having an issue, I would avoid tubes. The chances of them causing an issue is much greater than the chances of them preventing one.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

They do not look like K-locks to me, as Hydro stated, never seen a coined k-lock either all I have seen including my set from 2000 are flat and the stud holes are very tight.
    Those old Rawhide 21's a bear to keep on as the rubber gets harder. I lost a bead last week while the machine was riding to Ohio in the trailer on those rims.

I have a set of K/locks with now tires on them in the shop. I will try this weekend to get a pic. I would say the one's you have are Not K/lock rims as thay have a rolled outer lip to them.

Everyone has already pointed you in the right direction since those aren't k-locks but I wanted to link to this post: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...html#post71032 It has a few photos of k-locks.

Thanks Mike !

I've long since eliminated the non-k lock wheels from my inventory. There's nothing worse than losing a bead when you are in the outback or entertaining a crowd.

+ Reply to Thread