tire chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tire chains

tire chains

just curious if anyone has put chains on their tires for better traction in ice and snow....what were the results?

There are some existing threads that discuss them a little. You can use the search to find them until someone else chimes in. Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...-conquest.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...ains-aatv.html

I've got a stud gun and studs, just need to pick up the stud drill....buwa ha ha...

just saying...
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

sorry mike, I did search for "tire chains", and "snow chains" but the threads that appeared just both happened to talk about tires, and chains, and snow, not tire chains. anyway, thanx for the links.

Riot, the studded tires are a great idea, I guess that's why you need 2 sets of tires.

The whole reason I brought it up is I can't really afford tracks, or even new tires at the moment, and last time I brought my machine up the mountain in the winter in less than a foot of snow it struggled for traction. This was on an unplowed dirt road. even a couple of inches of snow wasn't easy going. I happened to see a set of chains at a thrift store for a small car, and thought they may fit. If I see another set, I will pick them up.

I think what really helps with tracks in a lot of snow is the fact that your foot print is lowered by being spread out on a larger surface area, which gives you greater flotation. I don't think the chains will help in that regard but I think they will definitely give you better traction on smaller amounts of snow and ice like you described. If they are cheap enough, pick up a set and give it a try.

I have a friend with a MaxII and he runs chains on the back and says it helps out a lot in the winter, but as Mike stated doesn't help in the real deep snow but definitely aids in traction.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

in anything other than hard packed snow or very crusty snow these machines are not all that good without tracks from what I've seen

Here dale
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/parts...ale-600-a.html

Some times you just have to suck it up and spend the $ to get where you want to be.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

ddale, i think you could modify a set of car snow chains to fit, then by some 3/16'' thick by 6'' or 8'' wide conveyor belting and weave it between the cross chains . then just overlap the belt ends and bolt with a couple of 1/4'' bolts with fender washers and nuts. the rubber belt will give the flotation in snow. the more cross chains,the better grab you will get, but not too many. i'm always messing with homemade track ideas. good luck. johnboy va.

thanx for the replies guys. I will definitely be trying a set of chains...
    riot, I would happily spend 600 on a set of tracks if they were local. shipping from new York would cost far more than the sale price I'm sure. I have my eye on a PPT and a playcat for sale, and I'm pretty sure I can buy both for less than what the tracks with shipping would cost.
    johnboy, I will be making a set of tracks one day I think.

+ Reply to Thread