Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Seems you're off the original idea now, but this may be one reason the 4 corners may not work. Though the tracks may be closer on 6x6.

terra jet snow tracks - YouTube
    Me off the original idea...nope I don't think so...seeing this is what I'm thinking all along when I started the thread.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Also search,I think, Avenger with tracks ranger with tracks deep snow on you tube.
    Even with the more power and wheel speed of the 800, the Polaris wasn't able to do more than the Argo in powder and looked much less maneuverable. (as a comparison)

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Also search,I think, Avenger with tracks ranger with tracks deep snow on you tube.
    Even with the more power and wheel speed of the 800, the Polaris wasn't able to do more than the Argo in powder and looked much less maneuverable. (as a comparison)
    Not sure why, but those rangers with tracks are quite narrow tracks....I'm talking about a bolt on system simlar to what they have...a full length belt and about 15-20" wide...depending on certain things.

The wider tracks of an argo or any other machine equates to far greater capability for flotation in powdery snow...those rangers and other UTV and quads just don't have the track width for decent snow performance IMO

Guess gotta take a picture scan it in B/W then edit it and draw/sketch what I'm talking bout ROFL. Clearly I'm not clear..
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

riot, looking forward to seeing the sketches.i like your ideas. if you can see it in your minds eye, thats the first step. next is developement. wether it's practical or works great or is even something people would want, to me it's the fun of figuring it out. i'm just finishing up some bolt on front wheel 6'' wide tracks to go with my max half tracks to give me some extra footprint and traction. will they help ? probably. they are unique and fun as heck to fabricate. hard to hold down that creativity !! johnboy va.

There are a few of the side by side around here with tracks and the owners have found they are a little top heavy for tough snow conditions. The Argo is the best bet for a good set of tracks, Low centre of gravity. Even a ATV has quite a centre of gravity with tracks.
    A good bolt on system with the track the full length of the argo. And I mean the full length, At LEAST a foot longer on the front then the existing system to help in keep the nose up.
    In a way I hope some one is listening to us. And realizes there may be a market out there that no one has stepped into yet.
    When I have the Argo jacked up and try to turn the tracks it takes a lot of effort. It was the same with the plastic track. Thats a lot of robed HP just to turn the existing track system. You have all the chains gears axles to move. Their must be a better way. We only have 20 - 30 HP to play with. Why waist it. If the Argo had 50 -75 HP then there would not be a problem. Yes we all know our machines are slow thats not a issue. If we wanted to go like a bat out of hall then we would have a sled and leave the family at home. I would rather take the family. Thats how I look at it.

tucker, that's why it seems like one drive sprocket for the system like the quads bolt on uses would take less power on our machines. check out the video under '' tracked dune buggy in snow ''. shows a sand rail in deep snow. look at the rear track systems he made. very cool. of course it's a high h.p. machine, but the bolt on tracks are sort of what's being discussed. johnboy va.

sorry, it's under '' half tracked snow rail '' . johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    There are a few of the side by side around here with tracks and the owners have found they are a little top heavy for tough snow conditions. The Argo is the best bet for a good set of tracks, Low centre of gravity. Even a ATV has quite a centre of gravity with tracks.
    A good bolt on system with the track the full length of the argo. And I mean the full length, At LEAST a foot longer on the front then the existing system to help in keep the nose up.
    In a way I hope some one is listening to us. And realizes there may be a market out there that no one has stepped into yet.
    When I have the Argo jacked up and try to turn the tracks it takes a lot of effort. It was the same with the plastic track. Thats a lot of robed HP just to turn the existing track system. You have all the chains gears axles to move. Their must be a better way. We only have 20 - 30 HP to play with. Why waist it. If the Argo had 50 -75 HP then there would not be a problem. Yes we all know our machines are slow thats not a issue. If we wanted to go like a bat out of hall then we would have a sled and leave the family at home. I would rather take the family. Thats how I look at it.
    There are folks listening to this conversation and in the process of creating something that will be the best of both worlds, I will say no more at this point but we will see a machine that addresses all these issues very soon.

seems like at heard at busco in oct. the same thing and i believe it was the mudd ox boys. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    There are folks listening to this conversation and in the process of creating something that will be the best of both worlds, I will say no more at this point but we will see a machine that addresses all these issues very soon.
    I now that I, along with quite a few other outdoor adventures' in this little town would love to be able have something we can take the family out in. Yes you do have the ATV. sleds and side by sides. But none are really geared for what a vast majority of riders want them for. Around here anyway.
    We will be waiting.

+ Reply to Thread