Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

Arrow Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

I was watching some videos on Adair tracks, Escargo tracks, plastic tracks, rubber tracks, did I mention I was watching videos about tracks? Well I was, and I came across a video doing a comparison of tyres vs tracks on a couple of BRP Can-Am quad ATV's

The thought occured to me, how about developing a track, with boggies/suspension similar to the ATV quad/Utv TRACKS?

The bolt onto where the wheel goes, hmm, slightly more ground cleance and suspension.

Guess this is on a polaris ATV 6 wheel unit I assume

Not thinking we need four separate tracks nope, but those boggie setups on each corner and then some kind of A frame for the center axle/s and rollers up top and a complete track all way around whole works? For those in snowy conditions this would increase foot print too...

Anyone ever drawn up or made plans for said setup? Any pro's con's you can think of?

Just thinking out loud here is all...Could be potential...who knows...
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 11-11-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

looks to me like 4 of those polaris style with the right adapters could bolt to front and rear axles of a 6x6. center axle may be in the way, but it could be cut short, then when needed later reinstall with a shaft coupler like i did on my max 2. that tjd one looks like it would'nt be to hard to adapt. only thought would be how turning would be.could they handle the drag ? neat idea ! how fun it would be to test. johnboy va.

The problem with this is the argos and other units like this use a skid steer system. Unlike the ATV that allow you to turn the front track.and the back track follows. If you use this on a argo you would never be able to turn. You need one long track on each side so you can spin it sideways. But I like the idea.

Now thats more like it. But with the bottom curved slightly to aid in turning and the back of the track curved up a little so you do not barry. it when backing up. And it made as a bolt on replacing the tires.
    To buy tracks right know you are looking at some where between 2 and 5 thousand Lets say these end up costing 5 thou. Its still a lot better system then trying to rap tracks around your tires. given the argo is so front heavy as it is.

I would think twice about that if I were you, as you can see from the attached video I owned a Suzuki Vinson with a set of those very expensive, very aggressive Tatou tacks. If you watch the video through you will see that the Adair equipped Argo HD smoked the Tatou tracks every time. On occasion the the Suzuki would get through a mud hole faster but most of the time the Argo slaughtered it.

The most important thing here steering, the rubber tracks are difficult to steer and in deep mud without water the rubber tracks glaze over where the Adair's clean out.It was very difficult turn the Suzuki with a steerable front end I can't imagine trying to skid steer an Argo with Tatou type rubber tracks. I think it would torque the frame, bend the axles and destroy bearings. The Argo with Adair tracks on the other hand steers like a breeze.

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 11-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.

There are a bunch of other reasons including mud building up between the wheels making the drive sprocket slip in deep mud and your machine goes no where. it is also easier to walk out of a track. The Tatou's are great for snow conditions but other then that I would LEAVE THEM ALONE.

The tracks in question are for a machine being built by MIDWESTMADNESS75. In reading the thread they built those tracks for a custom machine designed for work and play on the snow and ice (ice fishing). The base vehicle appears to be built around the tracks, a t20 and a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine.
    I think for snow and ice it will be a fine set up.

Dan is correct though that rubber tracks don't do well in heavy mud, light mud they do ok, but do very well on snow and ice.

For those considering rubber tracks, I can tell you the factory rubber tracks on my green Max2, are indicative of the rubber tracks I've seen throughout my life. Great for snow and ice, but in the heavy mud a miserable failure. In fact, on every machine I've seen so far, rubber tracks take away the first "A" in AATV. They are heavy, hard on axles and bearings, and they don't float.

For folks who want a machine to traverse heavy snow and ice, and some occasional light mud, rubber works fine.

I think the right (and expensive) way to do it the new suspended Mudd Ox, throw on a set of Adair tracks over those 16" Vendettas and you have the smoothest, biggest baddest machine, smooth ride and great ground clearance-that is going to be one tough puppy to beat under any condition-all yours for the RIGHT PRICE.

Ive been following the atvs with tracks for a a bit and have been out with then a lot. all I can say is that if the fella on the bike knew how to ride it, it be a different story. know wonder he is braking parts Around here the guys that ride like that are left behind to play in there mud hole and the one that use there heads go places others only dream of.
    The argo is designed to go in the mud and with a good set of tracks they will do very well. All machines have there pros and cons. Now a Argo with a good set of tracks with suspension built into them designed for the snow is what I would love to see. You are right rubber track in mud like that are useless.

+ Reply to Thread