Track Weight

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Track Weight

Track Weight

I picked up a set of escargot tracks made for a 10" tire for the main purpose of doing some comparison videos on the different track types, ie. escargot and the pro series tracks. I, along with a lot of other members should be very interested on the pros and cons of both sets of tracks.
    To make the videos as fair as possible, I need to use the same model argo, and the same size tires,of which I am trying to set up now.
    The one thing that I have been able to do now,however, is to weigh "one" track, or one side of a set of tracks. One escargot track, made for a 10" tire weighs 195lbs.
    Weighed on the same scale,one side of the 14.5" pro series tracks weighs 112 lbs. I plan on weighing the pro series track with both winter kits,making it the same width as the escargot track,as soon as I have access to one.
    I did spend a little time running the escagot tracks before I took them off the unit they were on..... talk is cheap, so I am not going to comment on my findings, or what happened,I will wait till the videos are made to let you see for yourself, to try and keep this as unbias as possible.

Always nice when someone will compare granny smith apples to granny smith apples.....People always want to compare apples to pears to oranges. Not the same thing. I await your vids....

Great job.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Thanks Fox,
    Looking forward to posting some new vid, and I could have started already on this,but two different rigs with two different tire sizes is just going to be a waste of time. It's going to be bad enough with two different drivers......I can hear it already.....He is a more experienced driver....bla bla bla....he weighs 10 lbs. more...bla bla bla... his shirt is green, the others is red...bla bla bla....LOL.
    One thing I am going to do, is put the most inexperienced driver with the pro series,(wife).
    Just hope I can get two units set up the same to get started.

Cool!
    What are the specs on your escargos?
    Just sharing what I know and lots of testing I've done. There are (2) different sizes of escargo crosser, the original 10" wide and newer 12" wide. Both under-tire cleat and belt heights are different on each. Their current grouser spacing and overall track weight is also very different than it used to be. Additionally, I've noticed that Beaver Dam argo seems to be replicating a version of the escargo crosser, and they've changed the shape, increasing the ground-contact patch width which can have some side effects which I've already explored. Belt width inner and outer and track-tuner use are a few more factors than come into play when setting the machine up correctly.
    Sounds like a fun testing to me. I can certainly contribute some video footage if you want.
    I am currently building some channel tracks to test as well as some paddle theory add-ons for those.
    Most likely on a 2015 efi Frontier.

Also backer plate design/shape if used and fastener height sticking above the belt (if built this way...backwards- can also produce some side effects potentially to tire or tub. There is a very specific way this needs to be done. I hope to help in any way I can...not knowing which version of the tracks you have.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-24-2015 at 12:07 AM.

I can't wait to see the results! Thank you Foxvalley! I look forward to seeing your videos!

Thanks Buzz,
    The set I have is the 10" wide,bought new and installed on a 2011 frontier in 2012. They were built for the carliles,24x 10.

Thanks Dan,
    A little bit of encouragement goes a long way around here.
    Looks like, because of the tire size needed to run the escargots,it's going to be two frontiers,and with a little help,hope to set up two new efi frontiers,where I could put not only the tracks to the test, but the frontier with the new efi air cooled kohler,which I am a huge fan of.
    My first choice, however, would be to set up two HDIs,and that option is not being ruled out.

Looking forward to the videos. That swamp of yours is one heck of a proving grounds.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by foxvalley View Post
    Thanks Dan,
    A little bit of encouragement goes a long way around here.
    Looks like, because of the tire size needed to run the escargots,it's going to be two frontiers,and with a little help,hope to set up two new efi frontiers,where I could put not only the tracks to the test, but the frontier with the new efi air cooled kohler,which I am a huge fan of.
    My first choice, however, would be to set up two HDIs,and that option is not being ruled out.
    Good choice of machines Foxvalley, every one wants to know what the new EFI Frontier will do anyway. Even more interesting with a track comparison. I have always loved your swamp videos this should make your videos more interesting then ever. I cannot wait (why aren't they posted yet).

+ Reply to Thread