Tracks with dually's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tracks with dually's

Tracks with dually's

Hello,

I am thinking about putting tracks on my Argo, but I see there is not much room between the tire and the body partially due to body sag.
    Even if I did fix the sag in the body, there would still be little room for tracks between the tires and body.
    That being said, I was looking at maybe putting on dual wheels like in the attached pic and run the tracks on the outside set of tires.
    Was wondering if this would work or do you experts think the track would not fit or maybe more prone to falling off or be damaged by the other tires?

Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Thanks
    Attached Images

Have you checked into spacers and/or tuners? With the wheel moved out you usually get more tub clearance also.

Man looking at those duals I'm thinking "Who needs tracks?"
    Sure a LOT of extra load/leverage on the bearings though...

Now that you mention it, that is a bit of a concern considering these older Argo's use pins in the axles instead of splined axles.
    Maybe it would not need tracks if a guy ran duallys??? I am looking for something to help travel better in snow. Thanks

That is a good idea. Maybe moving the tires out further using a spacer would provide enough room for a track, but wouldn't that put too much stress on the axles and bearings? Not really sure with these older Argo's. (1979)
    Last edited by gotrippedoff; 08-26-2015 at 04:02 PM.

That machine is set up right with 25's and 22's placing the normal stress on the inner tires only on flat ground.
    IF you can keep pins in it, That set up will not work for you, you need smaller.
    Snow=tracks, not that all snow needs them but most solo distant civilization trips in the snow do,as when you find the needed point and no winch area ,then what?.
    You may need a second set of smaller tires to fit tracks (other than stock), though fixing the sag in the body ( and possibly the frame in a 70's) the plastic tracks should clear as they were designed for use in that machine.

Redesigning the seat/gas tank frame should allow full support to the lower center just like the 90's and 00's.

Did any of that make sense?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

That you for the info ARGOJIM. So would your suggestion be to put in the time and fix the body sag issue rather than extending the axles or using two sets of tires on each axle? Thanks

Also what type of track would you recommend for these older argo's?
    I have brand new 22" CARLISLE 22X10X8 Argo Tires on it. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread