Tires for 2000 Argo Conquest and Argo plastic tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tires for 2000 Argo Conquest and Argo plastic tracks

Tires for 2000 Argo Conquest and Argo plastic tracks

Hello all! First time posting here. I would like to thank everyone here that is responsible for maintaining and running this site as it is a tremendous resource for us crazy argo owners.

As the title states, I own a Argo Conquest that needs new tires. The runamuks are probably the original tires. They lose air constantly and the ridges (paddles?) are breaking off, so the tire turns inside the track as it has nothing to grip on. I can overinflate them to help, but it makes the ride bad and they lose the air within a day anyway.

Sooooo, I am looking for new tires and since I run the plastic tracks, I really cannot swim well anyway. It is not easy to justify the expense of the runamuk design as that would cost me at least $1000. There are many other tires that are close and I really searched the entire site and really could not figure out a solution.

Would these tires work? Deestone D929 22x11x8 4 ply.
    or Deestone D930 same size

Deestone Knobby ATV Tires
    http://www.atvtires.com/deestone-d930.html

I know they are cheap, but I need something that does not lose air and fits inside the tracks. Any alternatives would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Chris
    Last edited by dash; 09-28-2015 at 10:16 PM.

You should be able to use those without any issues. I think I have read where the knobby tires don't skid steer very well so if you plan on taking the tracks off anytime, you may want to lean towards to the 930 style tire. That is similar to the Duro Ag tire that several members run or the Carlisle Stryker tire.

You could also consider purchasing the Goodyear Rawhide III tires. They are only $15 more each than the 930s so that's $120 more total. What I can't really help with though is how any of these tires compare when used inside tracks. Maybe someone else can chime in.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-29-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added details

Well, I went ahead and bought the 930 tires and while they fit in the rims, they will not work with the tracks. They are too thin, if that's how to describe it and the tracks just roll of when I turn. Tried adjusting air pressure, but no joy. There is just too much room on each side of the track. They do not fill up the track like the runamuks. Are the rawhides a similar profile? The runamuks are quite a bit wider and "flat" across the top. Even though the runamuks are 10 inches wide and the 930's are 11 inches wide. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by dash; 11-06-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Sorry, double post!
    Last edited by dash; 11-06-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Interesting. my tires are BKT at-108s 22x11x8 and I believe they are too fat. The knobs on the sides grab the tire guides and this prevents the corner tires from slipping in tracks so I was spinning tires on the wheels. Now that I've permatex glued the tires on I occasionally get loud bang from the back chains skipping on the sprocket but I haven't had to deal with a flat due tire spin.

I think the plastic track are really designed for the 22x10x8 runamuk type tires. Those rawhides might work too since it doesn't look like they have the side knobs like mine have.

I just ran across a post by Matt (Mudd-Ox) and he says he has runamuks available.
    This post

And this made me shop a bit: I found them at Ceder Rapids Tire for $655 shipped to my house. (that for 8) I might get me some just for running my tracks. Why are you spending my money?
    Last edited by JohnF; 11-06-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Very interesting indeed! Not sure when 11 inches not 11 inches? Thanks for the heads up on the runamuks, I have exercised that option and they will be arriving this Friday. I am also interested in the permatex solution you mentioned? I searched the forum and saw some references to gutter sealant and used that for my tires this time. Are these similar? BTW, it is a lot of fun spending someone else's money, 'cause it costs me nothin'! I appreciate the reply.

Sorry for being late but I was enjoying the Argo as an elk hunting platform last week.

There is some good discussion in THIS thread. It's Permatex High Tack gasket sealant. It is real sticky so try remember to put on the shop shoes or your wife will be upset at you ruining yet another pair of tennis shoes.

Okay, I want to hear about those new runamucks. Did they do the job? Did their diameters all look close?

Got them mounted and installed and used them this past weekend. What a difference! I did not see any difference in diameter as they all looked the same. Boy, I did not realize how much the old runamuks were worn down. There was certainly a difference in diameter between those. The new ones have so much more tread! I was able to fill with approx 3 psi in each tire and it gripped the tracks perfectly. I probably will need to fool around with the pressure to get the tracks to perform at optimum.

I really did scrutinize the new tires and compared to the old ones and except for wear, they are positively identical. Hope that helps? The tracks are so much better for what type of muck where we duck hunt. Just they are quite a bit harder to steer than the wheels alone. Cedar Rapids Tire were great to deal with. Ordered on Wednesday and received them on Friday of the same week. I would recommend them and the runamuks.

+ Reply to Thread