max 2 tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: max 2 tracks

max 2 tracks

Howdy, Im new to the forum here, so forgive me if I state the obvious or overlook something. I purchased a pair of max 2's last year, one with engine, one without, swapped the motor (a new ish briggs 18hp) into the one in better shape and got it running with some minor work. I also have a set of steel belted tracks with aluminum rib frame on the inside and some galvanized bars as traction on the bottom. I'll try to get pics of the tracks up. The tracks ended up being about 6" or 8" too short. I tried at first fighting them on, then pulling a tire and wheel, then deflating the rest of the tires. After finally cutting the track and trying to ratchet it on, I realized they weren't long enough for the vehicle. Any ideas on how to add more length or place I can get a bit more of the steel belting and aluminum ribs for these old tracks? I'd hate to have to spend money on new tracks or having to build a set from scratch. I use it largely as a ranch vehicle, towing a trailer, pulling logs for lumber or carrying firewood and I couldn't be happier! <---unless I had a set of tracks for it. My property is steep and pulling a heavy trailer, I often lose traction this time of year trying to tow firewood up to the house. The obvious easy solution is to carry less firewood, but where's the fun in that!?

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I think a picture would definitely help. There are several members with a lot of track building experience that should be able to help out once we figure out which tracks you are running.

hey mike, sounds like your almost ready to go. i've built my own max 2 tracks before. i believe those are the old style max tracks. if you only need them longer, i think your best bet would be to buy the extra belting length you need ( add a extra foot ) and splice it to the existing tracks. you can use the alligator connectors or just overlap the belts and connect with bolts. you should be able to fab the extra guides you need out of some 3/16'' x 1 1/2'' flatbar and fasten them to the belting. mcmaster carr co. sells belting different thicknesses and widths and connectors. check them online. hope this helps. johnboy va. add enough length so when installing them they overlap maybe 6''.then when your ready to connect them, cut off the excess so there is about a 1'' gap between the 2 ends. let the air out of the tires, pull together with a ratchet strap and connect. then air up the tires. let us know how it's going.

What size are your tires? Those tracks were designed for 21x11x8 tires. If you have the 22" tires they will be to short. A stock max 2 won't have enough body clearance with 22 " tires. You may be able to lengthen them to fit but they will probably hit the muffler and body when turning.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    What size are your tires? Those tracks were designed for 21x11x8 tires. If you have the 22" tires they will be to short. A stock max 2 won't have enough body clearance with 22 " tires. You may be able to lengthen them to fit but they will probably hit the muffler and body when turning.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

good point , check that first. j.b.

Are these the same tracks you guys are talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Max-IV-...m=111866807693

No Mike those are generally refered to as waffle tracks. The tracks he described would've like the ones in the post " hell me identify these tracks".

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

An inch of tire makes a big difference. I bought my Max IV tracks with a set of tires and rimes. The tires were 22" Bear Claws. I couldn't even get the tracks on over them, even after vacuuming them down. I had a set of bald 22×11-8 Runamucks lying around so I tried them. I managed to get the tracks on but I couldn't inflate above 1 or 2 psi. The sidewall bulge was more than I was comfortable with not to mention the strain on the bearings. I broke down and ordered 6 new 21" AT-101s and just swapped everything over. The tracks went on nice and easy and 5psi tensioned them up perfectly.

Here is a pic of a new 21" AT101 beside a bald 22" Runamuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    No Mike those are generally refered to as waffle tracks. The tracks he described would've like the ones in the post " hell me identify these tracks".
    Thanks. I was completely lost as to which tracks these were. Here's the link for anyone else: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...se-tracks.html

+ Reply to Thread