Best for 14HP Max II in mud?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best for 14HP Max II in mud?

Best for 14HP Max II in mud?

I have a 2000 Max II with stock 22" Rawhide IIIs. Never got into anything my winch couldn't get me out of, but would be nice to not have to winch as much. There are several places I am getting stuck. One is exiting the water, and everyone seems to work on that skill, like finding ideal angles, trying reverse, that sort of thing. Another place I get stuck is where my ruts have eroded deep enough (floodplain) that my belly drags, and for that I use the tractor bucket and blade to redistribute some dirt (although if I keep that up my trails will become gullies haha). But where I get stuck sometimes that I don't think I should is good old pudding mud. Any suggestions? Bigger engine vs duallies vs tracks? Is my engine even big enough to handle duallies or tracks? Would I lose top speed or swim speed? I assume my axles are the older hollow ones, would I have to replace them? Or maybe there are better tires now that perform better than the stocks in the mud? Thanks

I think your motor is going to be the limiting factor when it comes to adding tracks or dual wheels. If my memory is correct, you should have solid axles. You can check by placing your finger on the end of the axle inside the tub and see if there is a hole in the middle of the axle or not. You could consider upgrading your motor. You can probably find a 20-something horsepower motor and then sell your 14HP on Craigslist and not end up paying too much overall for the upgrade. Then, you could either upgrade to larger tires or add tracks. Depending on which track you go with, you may have to add extensions/outer bearings as well which add to the cost.

I always liked the looks of dual wheels but the added weight and width, to me, make them less practical then tracks.

I am positive Mike is correct about the solid axles. The stock 14hp probably has lost what little oomph it had when new. I have a tan Max2 with plenty of motivation from a 18hp B&S, but the mower (get it) power, the better. I have a set of 25" Mudd Bug tires that make the machine rock, and those tires and the 9" Mudd Ox bead locks they are on, was the best mod to that machine.

I prefer Kohler engines, and 20-22 hp is probably plenty.

The tires will raise the body, and a good set of 24" or 25" tires will make the machine rock.

Well depending on which 14hp you have ( this is not a question) it may do all you need to do, but it may be sick too. A lot of the stuck issues you mentioned are not engine issues but clearance issues and perhaps seat time issues. Seat time issues are self explanatory and reading something becomes second nature.
    Many, many, many people are amazed by what JohnSchwab's 14 horse Max II did and by what my brother Rickga's 14hp Frontier does, I know Rick's is stock and most of what Schwabs did that I saw years ago was in stock form. BTW though Schwab had many years of every other vehicle out there experience it was his first 6x6, Rick grew up around these with a 30 year lapse.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Yea Mike, I have been watching ebay and craigslist for a deal on the 23HP B&S v-twin that is supposed to be a drop in replacement for my stock 14HP engine. No dice yet, but I’m hopeful. Maybe I should search for smaller upgrades (like Noel’s 18), but if I am going to go through the trouble of replacing an engine, I would like to get it “right” the first time haha! Then I guess new tires would be the quickest and cheapest fix. Hey Noel, 25” tires will fit on my machine? I sure would like to have all the clearance I can get. I hate draggin belly! I’ll look into those Mud Bugs.

I see the pro’s of the tracks as keeping a narrower wheelbase which is key in the forest (and the garage), but the con’s are poorer swimming and the additional required hardware (extensions, outer bearings). I can figure out the hardware, eventually, but I find this machine a pretty poor swimmer as is, I’d hate to see it get worse. The duals probably improve flotation and swimming (unless the weight is too much?), but I can see the wider footprint being a real limit in the woods. Choices choices, ain’t life grand? I’m guessing tracks and duallies would both cut top speed, but that’s ok, I find this machine too fast given the complete lack of suspension and I would gladly trade some top end speed for more balls in the mud. Oh I’m working on the red spring mod now. And a suspension seat! thanks again.

The 24" Argo tires will also fit a Max2 without modification, they give a great ride, mud well, and swim like a fish. Some folks complain that they aren't as durable as some tires, and frankly I have lost one to a puncture, but as I mentioned, I feel they are a great multi-purpose tire. Most times you can find them already mounted on an Argo wheel for the same price as without the wheel.

In terms of power, I do think the 18hp is more than up to the task. I have not had good luck with the 23HP motors, even though many praise them on this forum, the two I've had overheated, popped and sputtered, and once warm, had a tendency to stall, and were difficult to restart. The 18s I've owned, and if I recall correctly, I've had three, were remarkably powerful and problem free motors.

The red spring will be a great mod too, probably one of the best out there for the money, It just keeps the machine in the power band and holding lower gearing better than the green spring.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 05-17-2016 at 08:16 PM.

I had the 24" Argo tires on my Max IV last year, they ride great and are very fast in the water. They were almost as fast in the water as the 26" Vandetta tires I have now. I think they are a great option.

Thanks Noel, that's some priceless knowledge you are laying down there. I will definitely add the 18hp to my watch list. Do you happen to know what model is the "drop in" replacement for the 14 in the Max II? Thanks.

I was thinking about it some more and I reckon my clearance issues would only be temporarily fixed with taller tires. In my floodplain, the tires tear up the soft ground and the next rain/flood washes away the loose soil leaving ruts. The ruts keep getting deeper til my belly drags. Taller tires will give me more time, but they don't fix the problem. Maybe this is the universes way of telling me (and the missus) that it's time to invest in a lower ground pressure option like tracks? Of course that would also help me in the pudding. Hmm...

$2900 for a set of new tracks... or $2500 for an entire trackster lol https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/snw/5554110931.html. Ah if only I had the money for either...🙄

V twin 24 hp diesel ....be my choice and tracks.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread