Split Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Split Tracks

Split Tracks

I seen some pics the other day of a Outfitter with a set of split tracks on it(4 tracks as opposed to two)and was wondering how well they worked,the fact that they are strung around just two tires rather than all four does it help/hurt chain windup is it less capable in mud/snow I have zero experience with this type of set up and puzzled as to why and what advantage this would have.NCT

I believe you eliminate most of the chain windup issues but lose surface area of track on the ground compared to one track per side. Also can run into clearance issues between the two middle tires. Search Half tracks I believe there is a few reviews kicking around.

Thanks Shotgun jus spitballin at the moment trying to find a better way to stay with rubber tracks and get rid if most of the windup issue but also have concerns with loosing a tire or axle in the Boons and unable to make it out one track on one side would be better than none.NCT

Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUN View Post
    I believe you eliminate most of the chain windup issues but lose surface area of track on the ground compared to one track per side. Also can run into clearance issues between the two middle tires. Search Half tracks I believe there is a few reviews kicking around.

I also believe it does just this, you will need 24 inch tires for clearance and they run turfs. I'd email Tim or Fritz about flotation. Naturally you currently do not have enough track to do it with what you have.
    The Argo version is spendy.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I also believe it does just this, you will need 24 inch tires for clearance and they run turfs. I'd email Tim or Fritz about flotation. Naturally you currently do not have enough track to do it with what you have.
    The Argo version is spendy.
    Yea understood ArgoJim I do use the frontier tires on my Avenger with tracks on i like more clearance to the body for the tracks as well as a lower overall ratio,i have found another used set that were torn up but enough left with mine to do a 4 track system the thing that is more spendy then I thought is the hinge kits Geez they want enough for those pieces of tin,but yes more research is necessary before I commit.NCT

The hinge kits do demand a premium, if you get your questions answered sounds like that may be your only expense. Maybe the resident track guy knows some answers as to the split track, I think he even had a thread about some.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

a dual half-track system does give you some extra redundancy in the event you have an issue with a corner axle, bearing, or tire/wheel. Having 1 remaining half-tracks on each side means you're still very very capable in comparison to having only tires. Having 2 half-tracks on each side of an 8-wheel machine gives you the same footprint on the ground as single 6-wheel track (installed over 3 tires on an 8-wheel machine) would. So if you want equivalent psi reduction to an 8-wheel track, you just need to make each half-track wider. Because each half-track is on each corner, it does balance the footprint of the machine nicely though. A half track is more difficult to drive out of, just like a 6-wheel track is more difficult to drive out of than an 8-wheel track. Aside from that, the particular track-style used to make each half-track would further affect certain traits of the track, some of which are very significant.
    In regards to chain windup (resistance the tires are forced to work against or forced premature rotation of certain tires by the track itself), it doesn't go away simply by using (4) half-tracks instead of (2) full tracks. The difference in circumfrence between tires must still be scrubbed-out while inside the tracks. This is mostly a factor of how easily the tire treads can do this against certain track surfaces or track grouser types. Having a loose track can help, but this can also cause track-driving problems for certain track styles.
    I believe argo uses dual half-track systems on their larger/heavier machines because the track stays on better and the shorter track can be driven a little more effectively when the tires might otherwise slip inside the track more often. Because of the factory track is a flat track with moveable guides, some added resistance to falling off is desirable. Their higher load rated turf-style tires on 12-inch rims are probably more consistent in circumference too and also have a very smooth tread design that can slip in the track a bit easier, even if the track has a bit more track tension (which will also help it stay on better).
    Not a perfect scenario or my favorite track style, but I think the dual half-track set-up helps the reliability of the rubber track, especially on heavier machines.
    It does come down to clearance between axles, and tire size + track height come into play. With an avenger/frontier 8x8, you're looking at a true 24" tire + a track height of 1" (maybe 1 1/8" max) to allow clearance between axle #2 and #3.
    Depending on your particular set of 24x10x8 tires, the factory rubber track may or may not work in this scenario. It may be necessary to use smaller tires or a lower-profile track
    If you were to make rubber tracks to fit over (2) tires instead of (4) on your machine, take the distance between axles (26.33") x 4 =105.32" and subtract this from your full-length track that you currently have. That will tell you how long each half-track needs to be in inches. As stated before, you'll need to obtain some more belting to make it work.
    I have tested many half-track set ups using elevated-belt tracks and different grouser types. That of course is a different discussion altogether.

Thanks Buzz,I did was uncertain of the clearance and have since got a chunk of a tore up one here and when I dig the tracks out in the next week before the hunt I will wrap the centers just to get a idea,I totally understand and agree on the windup issue it was not my primary goal that was redundancy my hope was that only having to keep two tires as close to the same diameter rather than four that said i have went by Argo,s recommended install technique and have not broken any parts since the axle upgrade,with this read perhaps I would be poking the sleeping dog with a stick and should rethink this and the point about turf tires I had not considered,give a guy more to think about before leaping in.NCT

I have a 88 argo 8 wheeler with the Kohler 17hp. The full set of tracks was way to much drag on the engine, just not enough jam.

I spilt the tracks (plastic) and half tracked it. Put them on the front with grippy tires on the rear axle.

Very happy with the results. We have been dealing with deep slushy snow. It can still get stuck, but so far has been the best performance we have seen from this machine.

It will also cross, incredibly this ice as well. We played around on it long enough to eventually break through, but suprised me how little ice it would cross. Loaded with two adults and a few hundred pounds of trapping gear.

I wish I had the power to run two half sets

not enough power and hard turning are some of the most common complaints with tracks. One of my favorite set ups is quad-track channel track set up. Because of the low-profile grouser, many machines already have the clearance to do it without needing different tires, and you get the benefit of a slower driven track belting and gear reduction. No track tuners needed. Half tracks have really impressed me. I used to be skeptical, but no more

+ Reply to Thread