help with tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with tracks

help with tracks

I am looking to by a set of used tracks for my argo magnum 8x8 for the up coming ice fishing season. I found these ones for sale for $1100.00 I can get them for $700.00 the add says they are in very good condition. seems to me they are pretty banged up on the sides. is this normal wear and tear for plastic tracks or are these tracks just been abused and are no longer any good. don't mind paying the price , just don't want to buy something that's not worth the money
    Attachment 15638Attachment 15639Attachment 15640Attachment 15641

the pictures arent working, what kind of tracks are they?

20161124_114300_HDR~2[1].jpg20161124_114308_HDR~2[1].jpg20161124_114316_HDR~2[1].jpg20161124_114356_HDR[1].jpgthey are Argo standard 13" plastic tracks. I will have to try and reload the pictures (thought I finally had it figured out last night)
    Last edited by argo8mag; 11-26-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Scuffing and a bit of chewing wont mean a hill of beans they get banged around I have had a couple sets of plastic in my time biggest issue have they been sitting stored inside or out in the off months as UV rays will kill em and they become brittle and spit at the pins if they have been kept indoors out of the Limelight so to speak they will be jus fine only word of caution plastic are very slippery and can slide easy on icey hills use caution actually the more chewed up the plastic becomes they bite better having used the super track plastics I was able to stud the outer edge but not sure you can do that on the standards due to clearance 7 bones for a complete set is not that bad here in Kanada when you stitch them together with a new pin slobber never seize on the lock collar and mark that section as the one you want to get apart in the spring with paint or whatever so the little Allen set comes out other than that you have about fifty choices of which one will come out.Cheers NCT

I just purchased a new (to me) 1989 Arbo 8x8 magnum, and the tracks are splitting at the knuckles to the point where I cannot finish out the deer season this year. Struggling with the decision about new tracks or taking a beating on this machine by selling it and buying a brand new one. I'd look very carefully at the condition of the knuckles and pins. if they are stretched or the knuckle holes are worn they will split, probably at the worst time, just like mine did.

Good Luck.

$700 isn't too bad at all for those if the hinges are in good shape, get em. They seem to sell for $800-1000 regularly while the ones priced at $1100+ tends to stay for sale. If your not satisfied with the 13" plastic tracks down the road you will be able to relist them and recoup pretty much your whole investment.

Quote Originally Posted by argo8mag View Post
    Attachment 15645Attachment 15644Attachment 15643Attachment 15642they are Argo standard 13" plastic tracks. I will have to try and reload the pictures (thought I finally had it figured out last night)
    i personally had a set of standard plastic 13" tracks on my 2002 conquest, specifically for ice fishing, on snow covered ice they are great, on bare ice they were useless, unless you like doing donuts, until i studded them with some small screws, then they worked great, after the screws finally wore down i took some old snowmobile tracks, cut them up into sections that fit onto each segment of my tracks, bolted them on every third segment, and studded them with normal sled studs, it was the best modification i found for my plastic tracks, im currently looking to do the same for my 2001 conquest with 18" super tracks... i could walk off the edge of the ice into open water and easily claw my way back up with those studded segments... p.s. those tracks look fine to me, youll definitely enjoy having those tracks when it comes to snow deeper than 8 inches, i found my argo useless in snow over 8 inches until i put tracks on it, then it was pretty much unstoppable, but be warned, on those deep snow days, you will be pulling every wheeler out that gets stuck, because tracked argos are like superheros...

Quote Originally Posted by silvrbck View Post
    I'm think there is at least one guy on the site that wouldn't mind a couple of pictures of that. I'm imagining a studded rubber grouser kind of thing.
    Hmmm...

Iam somewhat computer illiterate but somewhere in my gallery is pics of my supertracks with both the argo claws and bolted on with snowmobile studs they worked awesome and much like silvrbck had said in most circumstances would climb up on ice edge but the extra rubber with traction studs he spoke off must have been a real good plan,I know just about everyone on this site flame the Argo plastic tracks but got to say I had great luck with them and they were a ton easier on the drive train but again I only use tracks for snow.Cheers NCT
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 12-03-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Yeah, I have the claws too. They do work well most of the time. Just was imagining a hard rubber grouser sort of thing for the slick rocks and when going up the aluminum ramps to the trailer when covered in snow. I was thinking along the lines of a block of rubber every third instead of a claw. It would probably make it a bear to turn but I imagine less than full rubber tracks. Just wondering what others have done.

+ Reply to Thread