End all thread for the very tired topic....TRACKS pros and cons

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: End all thread for the very tired topic....TRACKS pros and cons

I'm a new Argo owner (old machine) I was able to buy used and add rubber tracks (used also), plow (new) and canvas top (used also). I think it is a 2007 Avenger 8x8.

It is winter up here in Ontario CDN and I bought the Argo specifically to help move snow and move building material to our camp. We have a steep hill and I mean steep that walking up can be slippery. In this type of condition the Tracks have been AMAZING. The Argo just walks up the hill without issue and have been able to push a ton of snow plowing. The only time that I had an issue was after I plowed down the lower steepest hill and exposed ice. Coming up the tracks were slipping. I got out threw down some salt and sand and then it had no issues going up.

I just picked up Ice Cleats that I will be installing this weekend. I think that this will solve that one issue that was not a bog deal if you carry around some salt sand in the back.

As other have said it will depend on what you need to do but if you are planning to do any work in snow I would say that the track are a good value. Yes they cost a lot but up here winter last long enough that it makes sense.
    Last edited by puzle; 02-20-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Kinda funny how there is sooo much debate over tracks and only a few are the only ones posting a very full, specific review of the tracks we own!!! No one else willing to stick their neck out on this?

I do not have tracks on my machine. But I do think this thread is a good idea and would like to see some more input. I would like to get tracks for my machine and have looked at several different ones but I am still a little confused over which ones would suit me best. I have talked to several guys who have Argos and they swear by the rubber tracks for the marsh and swamp. I have a max IV and have talked to a couple max owners both the II and IV and get everything from the super tracks like RR sells to the Adair set up. Then I think do I really need them because they seem to add a lot of strain on the machine. I like seeing this kind of info its whats owning one of these machines is all about. Its great when when everyone throws out their 2 cents it keeps us thinking.
    just my 2 cents

I had Adair Pro series on a 6 wheeled conquest and they were great in muddy swamps but slick willows, rocks, and steep ground. I have a 8 wheel 750hdi and I'm thinking channel tracks for a little more all terrain bite for willows,roots,trees and such.

I like to go trackless. No worries about tire pressures, axle windup, wearing out chains and bearings and fatiguing axles, contacting/damaging the tub, getting flats, SWIMMING!

Not enough snow in my area to need tracks most of the time. With a little bravery and a sand anchor for the winch you can go through any muskeg the tracked machines go through. Just don't drive through the middle of the holes like they do.

Only thing I miss about tracks is its much smoother to go over logs and it gets painful when you have to drive over 20 or so of them in a day, and I have had passengers get hurt when they weren't ready for the rough ascent off the top of a big log.

There's a myriad of reasons for owning tracks both pro and con. In the three months since I have owned my tracked Argo here's what I have learned:
    1. They're almost impossible to stop the damn things. We had over 2.5' of snow in one storm. I'm in the local snowmobile club and we found our groomers and their sleds couldn't easily get to or on the trails. They're Skandic machines and by themselves they could have made it (I think). However, with their grooming sleds they were stopped. I took the Argo and knocked down over 55 miles trails so the groomers could get on them. Some trails had 12' drifts and it just kept on going (though sometimes it was difficult to steer up the rises).
    2. Excellent for mixed conditions on the trail - mud/snow/ice/swamp grass. The tracks treats them equally and just keeps on going.
    3. I found the chain slap can be minimized by religiously following the tire inflation in the operators manual (p.57). I was amazed in the difference once I set it up properly.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

I have factory camoplast tracks on Max iv 1050t have had no issues in knee deep snow or swamp and muskeg but in water it will not swim worth a hoot. I build a throwable land anchor and pull myself thru the deep water its way faster.

+ Reply to Thread