bearing extenion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bearing extenion

bearing extenion

Hi All

I have an idea about bearing extensions and want to run by you all to see if it seems like a good idea, I am looking at using 6 inch dia UHMW and drilling a 1 1/4 dia hole in the center for the axel, then use a double lip axel seal cut into the UHMW to keep water, dust, dirt out. I would still keep the stock outer bearing where it is and cut the UHMW to fit over it.

I am thinking this will work as a synthetic bearing I have seen here and save me some money on buying extra bearings and bearing housings and still give me the support I need for when and if I put tracks on it and it will be easy to do.

Any thoughts?
    Larry

I have seen what you are talking about. My only concern is that you have 5 inch long bolts doing all the supporting of the synthetic bearing I think with the bearing cages there would be less flexing in all directions because the of the steel construction of the bearing cage and shorter bolts. I am not saying that there would be no flex at all but that it would be less. I have just made some bearing cages for my machine but have not installed them yet I do not currently have tracks but am still considering getting them from all I have read about them there is a lot of stress on the drive train that being said I would think the more solid the axle is would be better. Just my 2 cents.

I made up extensions for my Max a while back that sounds like what your going to do.

This is the thread on it.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-bearings.html

Hideous How do they hold up? I like that design it seems a lot simpler than the bearing cages.

I have about 20 hrs on the extensions, just removed the tires and wheel yesterday. I did a visual check and checked for any play, they were still tight.
    There are some folks on here that have used them a lot more and they say their holding up great. I think that if I were to do it again I would machine a spot for a
    ball bearing behind the seal. I don't like the idea of using grease to keep water out thats why I used a water tight seal on the outside.

Awesome guys
    thanks for the response and link

THANKS for the info Hideous.

+ Reply to Thread