Question re: Trax removal and installation

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question re: Trax removal and installation

Question re: Trax removal and installation

A friend had is ARGO serviced a few weeks ago.

The mechanic showed him a trick he uses to remove and install trax. He pulls the rear wheel/tire off the machine and then just slips the trax off. To install, he puts the trax back on and then mounts the rear tire/wheel.

My friend said it took only a few minutes and looked quite simple.

This seems to be a huge improvement over the way we've learned to do them over time (remove a rod - often requiring it to be cut because the lock barrels are seized up) and then lower the air pressure on the tires, use channel locks or clamps to re-align the tracks to install new rods).

Does anyone have any experience doing it this way, or any feedback on why this would not be a good idea?

Being able to relatively quickly remove/install tracks would make my machine far more versatile year round.

Thanks

I have basically no experience with Argos yet, recently aquired mine.
    But the first thing I did was remove the tracks and that is how I did it.
    The locking collar on the rod was seized so I removed a wheel, maybe two, slid the track off so I could cut the rod.
    Was pretty easy.

I saw 2 guys on an oilfield site doing it this way. I drove by them and they had the front tire off and the track all half on the machine, then when I drove by a half hour later they were not much further ahead in the process. They both looked pretty frustrated though lol. They may have had worse problems, I don't know, had no time to stop and find out.

+ Reply to Thread