Homemade tracks using snowmobile tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tracks using snowmobile tracks

Salvage

BC, Not too far from me is Snowline Sports Snowline Sports
    Check out the pic of their track inventory. I will be checking with them, before winter to see what they have.

Also another source is conveyor belt manufacturers, many have very interesting patterns, some with raised chevron style patterns that swim. The only downsize is most don't have lateral stiffeners and flex (curl) up outside the tire width. But if you install lateral cleats they should work out OK.

I've sourced out one company that makes what I want but you need to buy it in 100 ft. rolls, so maybe a couple of us guys will work together and split the costs. I will update this thread as the fall approaches.

if you are on the cheep for convayor belting go to your local gravel pit that is where i work and we throw the stuff away some times. ask for used belting and they might sell it or give it to you. also there ie a product called flexco this is what holds a convayer belt together it will work for one of the splices on your snowmobile trax you will need the argo splice for the pin but it will save you125$. I looked at the argo dealers supper tracks for the centaurs and thats what they use convaer belt with angel metal bolted on. it is also what they use for the plastic extention kit.

I too am looking into making a homemade set for an 8 wheeler, but i think the cost will be higher than what first thought, lets say im building a set like BW6's friends for a 6x6, he has 22 guides/side thats 88 guides for the set at $4 each thats $352 just for the guides then if each splice kit is $125 and you need 4 then thats another $500 then i still need to add taxes, then buy some old sled tracks along with hardware for the guides etc. I was thinking of just using what they use to join conveyor together for joining the tracks and making my own guides from galvanized steel like the escargo tracks have, i have a metal bender at work so that would be no problem but still have to think of a good guide design and do some resarch. Any thoughts? Input?

'99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

I want to make some tracks as well for my Max.

I will need to put on a new set of tires as well because the 22" ones are to big.

Let me know how you make with your tire guides. I will be very interested.

Cheers

Max.
    Maxheadroom..!!

Smile making tracks...... literally,....

see amphicat tracks by Don in gallery or my photo of black cat with tracks.might cost you 250.00 to make them, they don't roll or fall off either

More Details Pls.. Pls.. Pls..

Mr. Amphiman..

You said you could take some close up Pic's for me to see how the Rubber attached to Chains..can you do that and share with us..

Where did you get the the Rubber from..??

Pls help.. I really would like to try building these.

Cheers

Max.
    Maxheadroom..!!

tacks

Hey Guys, great to see those tracks. I really need a set for my Bigfoot. I sold my plastic tracks this spring. Hope the video will be available. I am in the Ottawa Valley. Need to do something asap.. Thanks, Mark..

Smile tracked down LOL

hi! these tracks are made of conveyor belt type of material..... the chain part is the same as tire chains for a car or pick up truck, (no cable)
    they hold on the rounded tires very well, you could make them at home too, not spending crazy money for tracks that wear out faster than you think. thses are very replaceable parts too
    This Year, i can't wait until it REALLY snows!!

goin to be doin some test bending for guides on the shop iron worker this sunday, material is 1" galvanized tube(conduit) cut in half, ill let ya know how i make out, im hopin if it works that i could keep the cost around $0.60 per guide with hardware and backing plate.

'99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

+ Reply to Thread