Homemade tracks using snowmobile tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tracks using snowmobile tracks

Hybrid View

Homemade tracks using snowmobile tracks

I have an Argo Frontier 6x6. I know there's a couple guys that have made their own tracks from snowmobile tracks. What's the process? How many snowmobile track to you need, one for each side (lets say for a 6x6)? How do you splice them? And is it just a cool project or do you really save a lot of $$ compare to the Argo tracks? Do they perform as well as the "real" ones? I was looking at the Camoplast web site and they have some nice 20" track in the utility category.

I know it's a lot of question but thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas bcsteve. I live outside London Ont and there is a young gentleman that lives near by who made 18 in tracks for his 6x6 from snowmobile tracks. He said that he used three and used the Argo guides. He also used the Argo connectors. The tracks he acquired from a snowmobile recycler just outside the city for about 25.00 bucks a piece. He figures it cost somewhere around 500.00 to build them. There is a post and some pictures on here about this.
    Cheers Al

I remebered another gentlemans name who does know the individual who made the tracks. It is Bw6, bushwacker aatv. Perhaps you could pm him to get more information.
    Cheers Al
    aka "I blew the top off of the piston on the engine in my Argo"

Homemade Tracks

Hi Swamper, BC Steve, checkout the gallery for pics under tracks. Also if you checkout Youtube under AAA Argo you will find some vids of this Argo. It's not a Frontier your wheelbase being longer, will take more track, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I believe Swamper is right it took 3-15" tracks. These tracks are for real, and seem to perform as well as factory. The only change he said he would make is he would use a steel backup plate so the Argo trackguides won't pull through. He uses his stock tires, also he said because the snowmobile track has grips on the inside it prevents tire slip at lower tire pressures.

Also Steve you will notice that he offset the track, this way he didn't need Argo axle extensions. I believe the guides are around $4.00 ea. and the Argo splice kit is around $125.00 ea.

I will be making a set for my Argo Bigfoot, in the near future and will do a "How To" video, but Steve if you decide to do it, try to make a video of the process.

Bw6 ,

A track installation video would be great for the people who want to run tracks. I think in the future ,the new video how to section will really come in handy.

Bw6, I saw the video you're talking about. It is a Frontier with the homemade tracks and that's what prompted my question. Edit** my mistake the title says Frontier but after looking carefully at the video, Bw6, you're right it's a Bigfoot or a Vanguard**

So if you need three tracks, using my advance math skills, that would be 1 and a half track per side. That would also mean two splices on each side, right? How much are new snowmobile tracks worth?

Last edited by bcsteve; 12-25-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: AATV identification

tacks

Hey Guys, great to see those tracks. I really need a set for my Bigfoot. I sold my plastic tracks this spring. Hope the video will be available. I am in the Ottawa Valley. Need to do something asap.. Thanks, Mark..

Smile tracked down LOL

hi! these tracks are made of conveyor belt type of material..... the chain part is the same as tire chains for a car or pick up truck, (no cable)
    they hold on the rounded tires very well, you could make them at home too, not spending crazy money for tracks that wear out faster than you think. thses are very replaceable parts too
    This Year, i can't wait until it REALLY snows!!

goin to be doin some test bending for guides on the shop iron worker this sunday, material is 1" galvanized tube(conduit) cut in half, ill let ya know how i make out, im hopin if it works that i could keep the cost around $0.60 per guide with hardware and backing plate.

'99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Amphiman those tracks are awesome!! great work

'99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

+ Reply to Thread