Argo 8x8 750hdi se measurements

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 8x8 750hdi se measurements

Argo 8x8 750hdi se measurements

Hello eveyone, Been browsing the forum for a couple weeks and love it. A little about myself, Was in a major snowmobile crash last feb. and now my only wheels are a wheelchair, I spent a month looking at side by sides when a buddy stopped by and asked what I was doing, He then asked me if I'd consider an argo, I hadn't but the light came on! Been doing a lot of reading here and it makes me want one even more. I live in northern ontario and my passions have been hunting and fishing as much as I can. What a perfect machine for me , Go fishing , drive to a back lake and continue right on and start fishing, Can plow in the winter, can't drive the tractor no more, Can take the plow off and set out fishing. My dilemma now is my local dealer just started He hasn't got one in stock for me to try and it's a 7 hour return trip to the next dealer, Not that I expect to drive one but see if I can lift myself in? I would like some info if anyone can is measure the distance from the floor up to the top of the body getting in so I can see whether or not I can lift my legs over. Have the prices on new ones and all the attachments, my worker wants to make sure I can get in before they submit it. I was looking at side by sides and a set of tracks to go on them , then having the controls modified for hand controls but if I could get in one of these I'm good to go, mod"s already done,In my conditon with a side by side I could not get into canoe or boat anyway so I think it's the perfect choice.Well enough of this rambling on, great site here and if anyone could help appreciate it. Thanks

Hi sawbuck, welcome to the site. I think the Argo would be a great choice for what you are looking to do. While I can't get you the measurements you are after, Argo's site lists a few dimensions at the bottom of this page: Amphibious Vehicles - Amphibious ARGO ATV, ARGO AATV, ARGO All Terrain Vehicle that will help you out until someone else can chime in. Another option for you is to find a member that is local to you and go take a look at their machine. Check out the "local 6x6 World members" section of the site. You never know when there may be a member close (relatively in Northern Ontario terms) by. Let us know what you decide on.

Hey sawbuck...ive got a buddy who is in the same situation...he got out of a new 4x4 ranger that was set up with hand controls. He found that without power steering it was a lot to handle the brake, throttle, and wheel...he didnt really end up using it much. He first got an older argo 6x6 for hunting and fishing and loved it....he then upgraded to a new 8x8 frontier because the fixed handle bar steering works really well for bracing yourself while decending down a hill and still being able to apply the brakes...and then this last year he decided he missed the compact size of a 6x6 and so he now has a new 2011 650 HD with tracks and a plow.

All three of his machines have had 18" wide tracks and he feels that it makes it a little easier to climb in. Tracks on a newer machine are going to create a nice 6" wide ledge to use for getting in. without tracks the side entrance is about 30" tall +/- 2" depending on model. The model with the lowest driver opening is a Frontier 6x6...it is cut about an inch lower than the Avenger/HDI body and the 6x6 version is about an inch lower than the 8x8 version because of the height of the lower tub. Older machines like vanguard's, bigfoots, responses, and conquests well sit a couple inches lower yet as they generally had shorter tire packages and slightly more compact bodies.

Another option that might improve your ability to lift yourself in would be a factory ROPS kit, although it will make a machine a little more top heavy in the water. Larger 25" tires can help offset that a little bit, and the wider track options will usually require moving the tires outward 2.5" and that will be a noticable gain in stability while out on the water. I would recommend you consider a factory 18" argo rubber track as that is going to be the easiest to climb on and it will work in most conditions really well, including pushing snow. The best 6x6 available today for that rubber track kit is a new 6x6 650 (23hp B&S motor) HD...it has the newer admiral transmission, largest motor, and will do a better job of handling the additional weight and traction of the rubber tracks. That machine would almost seem like it was custom made for your application.

Welcome to the club :-)

Sawbuck,

Think you will have a blast in a newer Argo with the admiral transmission. I bet the Argo dealer that is a days drive from you has a show model that you could drive outback. I was able to test-drive at my dealer and they sure are smooth to control. Best of luck to you and keep us in the loop, there are tons of great guys on here with years of experience that have always been quick to help. Welcome to the club

hey sawbuck i am in dryden ontario if you are close enough to drive here you are welcome to come put a few hours on my 2011 750 hdi currently on rubber tracks. i can get some exact measurements for you after work today.

Sawbuck, I'm a life-long wheelchair user and on my second Argo, a 2011 6x6. They truly are turn-key, as beyond a lap belt (because we can't use our legs for balance), they require no modifications, as they're already totally hand-controlled. The new models have the hand grip bar on the back of the seat, and one on each side of the dash -- and they're the perfect handholds to grab and slide oneself up and in. My wheelchair with cushion has a 19" seat height, and the way I transfer in is by pulling face forward to the side of the Argo, put my legs straight in, then use the backrest and dash handholds to pull myself straight in. Inside the tub is a fender to sit on, then I pivot onto the driver's seat. Getting out, I reverse the process, and let gravity do the work, plopping into my chair.

A few things to consider.... If you're taking a folding ultralight wheelchair, it fits well in the back of a 6x6, but takes up the whole space. Similarly, a rigid frame ultralight wheelchair will fit with the rear wheels removed, but again takes up all of the cargo space. So, if you wish to carry gear and your chair, go with an 8x8.

Also, going back to the lap belt, look for one that's padded. Argos can toss you around a bit, and you really need positioning help on grades and such when not using your legs to brace, so while a snug lap belt is needed, you don't want it cutting into you. A padded belt is a must to protect your skin.

You can visit my Youtube channel at wheelchairjunkie's Channel - YouTube where I have some Argo videos, and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to email me at wheelchairjunkie@comcast.net .

why do you want an SE version ?

save some money and get the regular HDI. If you want the suspension seats and bounce around in the argo, get the same 100$ seats at tractor supply .

I think it's just too much money for road approved lights and suspension seats....

Try the suspension seats in a rough trail before buying the SE as most people who tried the HDI-SE told be the seats are just uncomfortable. Better add padding to the standard seat that bouncing around sitting on a spring.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Hello and thanks for your replys, Checked all the links posted and found them very informative. Reading that there are other users out there with similar situations and finding argo's very user friendly makes me feel I'm headed in the right direction. dromas if you get a chance i'd appreciate that info, thanks on the offer but i'm in the soo, too far. I have an adjustable platform that can be set at any height allowing me to try getting my leg's up. pcmark great info and video's, i'll need a 8 wheeler, don't have a folding chair and could use the extra room for family. The padded lapbelt sounds like a good idea also. Obsessed hearing that your buddy kept upgrading to suit his needs and stuck with argo says alot. I to will be requesting the 18" rubber tracks. I've read differnt opinions on the suspension seats, some for some against. I used to own a terra-jet , floated great , wouldn't turn it a tight spot, but that ride was horrible, that is why i'm leaning towards the suspension seats. I'm gonna call one of my former clients who logged weekends using an argo to see if he still has one to go try. I'll keep you's posted, thanks sawbuck

hey with rubber tracks on its 26.5" from the floor to the top of the tracks or about 33.5" from floor to the low part of the body this low section is about 18 - 19 " wide beyond the forward 12" is the floor beyond the back 6" is seat. hope that makes sense any more questions feel free to pm me.

+ Reply to Thread