Not sure if I have a problem or not...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if I have a problem or not...

Not sure if I have a problem or not...

So I just finished getting my first Argo all put back together and I have had it out a little and I am wondering if it is performing properly or not. It is a 95 conquest with the 20hp Kawasaki. Chains were shot so I put all new chains on it, I greased all the bearing's, new fuel pump and lines, air filter and carb cleaned was what I started with. I took it out in some deep but packed snow and it Ran good but didn't seem to open all the way up going uphill in low range and climbing in hi range was out of the question. now they were steep hills and I live at 8000ft so I'm not sure whether it's normal or not. After that ride I changed the spark plugs, changed the oil and filter and put in royal Purple 10w-30, and I drained the transmission (really really sludged up) and refilled with royal purple 75w-90. I haven't ridden it in the hills yet with this round of servicing but was looking for some insight. I will say that on pavement with the super-tracks on in high range I'm doing about 8-10 mph. Any insight would be great.

check to see if its firing on both cylinders and check compression sounds like the valves or carb.

I did check the cylinders and it is firing on both. What is the factory specs on the compression? I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see if it runs better with the new round of servicing. When I first got it, it slipped 2 push rods due to having sat for 4-5 years. They didn't look bent but I'll have to check them again. I'll also check the clearances.

try pulling one plug off at a time to see if it kills the engine. compression if thinking right should 120-140 give or take.. what is the model numbers on the engine.

When I pull the plug wire it does eventually die at an idle (on each cylinder) but it is definitely firing on both. I believe my engine code is fd620d-AS08

have you checked the rpm yet?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

check the rpm as agrojim stated. even at idle it should drop down then pick itself back up and run pretty smooth on one cylinder. where u can tell the most is when you put it under load like going up hills ects is where the power loss can be found like turning,low speed idle but wide open movement. things like that is where power is missed unload.

So if that's the case where should I assume or look for the lost power? Should I go through the carb again (I did order the high altitude #108 jet) or should I lean more towards valves and check the push rods again?

if i knew it was firing on both and getting fuel to both then i would go to the valves. just because it is firing doesnt mean its getting fuel it just means it is firing. i would try new plugs first. put them in and see run it then take them out and compare the 2 and see if one is lean or what. then i would go from there. but i would get the rmp up a bit if could then try removing one plug @ a time again just too see if it runs. if it kills when you pull the plug wire off means the other side is dead from not firing or not fueling. if it runs on one and then the other then i would have a look at the valves.

It does idle very low so I will bump that up a notch and see what happens. I'm going to go out shortly and pop the covers and check the valve clearance and pull and check the push rods again. I will see if the parts store has the ngk bmr2a plugs. Argoadventure sent me the 4a's but the 2a's are recommended at my elevation. I have a can of seafoam in the gas tank that may improve things once it works through as well

+ Reply to Thread