Amperage output 22hp Predator?????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amperage output 22hp Predator?????

Yeah the more I think about this whole thing the more tempted I am to just rebuild the KT 17 and be satisfied. The power was adequate & there is no hassle going back in (I have welders, plasma cutter etc so conversion mounts aren't a big thing anyway), I already know it's 15 amp... Reliability is my biggest concern & I guess the old Kohler KT series was that...

Good luck which ever way you go, I'm not trying to talk you in in out of it but hopefully informing you of what I know. This I know, I'm not that articulate.
    As far as specs or performance perhaps some others may chime in.

If you can find an 18 horse Magnum, they are basically updated KT17's with ignition and oil pump being the main difference. Most 20's had the larger shaft. A opposed Briggs would basically make it a Twin with hydraulic brakes.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Jim, you are quite articulate & I always look for your input on here. Your knowledge base is immense & I know VERY little so your input (and that of others with your experience level) is critical for me.
    Here's what little I think I have figured out and would like the input of you & others. By the way, my rig will be used primarily for moose hunting and a little exploring here in Alaska. Not a lot of hours. I'm a low range kinda guy, not in a hurry to get there. My main goal is to get there AND back :-) I don't foresee putting tracks on this vehicle. Seems like it's asking for trouble with the old small axles.

#1 The 22 hp predator may be a little much for my early 80s IC. I fear the small axles/bearings may bear more load than they were designed for.

#2 The 18hp Vanguard in the project machine may be a good engine but since the current owner has never heard it run it is a mystery engine (even though he says 150# compression per cylinder). While it would be nice to have another parts or project machine around I'm not sure I need that...

#3 The KT 17 did a good job in the machine for a lot of years (Before I got it. I used it one moose season) but I understand it's limitations so I'm not sure I want it to be my "forever engine" so I'm not sure I want to drop a lot in a rebuild. I do have another parts engine that I haven't torn down. Supposedly rebuildable. Can't remember if it was a 17 or 18hp (KT series) but I believe it is a "Series II". That would have electronic ignition but still splash lube on rods correct?
    I may tear it down before I order parts for the KT 17 just to see what's there.

Appreciate everyone's input.

A series 2 is either going to be a 17 or a 19, the evens were M- Magnums and not KT's.

You keep going back to 1 inch axles, I've never seen them in anything but 2 strokes (maybe a very early Tecumseh but I've never seen one). I'd check them as they should be 1-1/4, an easy check other than the diameter check is if they have pinned on hubs and 3 bolt hubs, if they are welded 5 bolt hubs the axles should be pinned sprocket 1-1/4 axles unless they are the later keyed axles. The smaller bearings can be updated and even the HD conversion could happen with a little fab work.

A good running 17 or 18 machine always went though be it slow (mostly gearing), torque was never an issue. If you are happy with it redo it, if you'd like to modernize the Vanguards are good engines with finicky carbs. If the engine is from a machine it should have a decent charging system and the benefit of the recoil starter. If you go that route be sure to check that the engine is a horizontal shaft engine.

The splash lube is easily found, oil filter or no.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Jim! Lots of hood info and much appreciated. Someone a long time ago said my generation machines had 1" axles and I assumed they knew what they were talking about. Never really even paid attention. Calipers prove you are right☺
    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread