Video Rotary Engine (The Edwards Winged Rotary)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video Rotary Engine (The Edwards Winged Rotary)

Video Rotary Engine (The Edwards Winged Rotary)

Hey everyone. Your fellow amphibious vehicle lover Mighty MaxIV Has patents on what I believe to be the world's most efficient internal combustion engine. I have spent many years of my life trying to develop this design. Because of work, writing (I just released my first book) and other developments I have put the design and development of this engine on the back burner. I have finally decided to get this process moving forward again so I have posted some videos of my design. They might be especially interesting to Whipper and BW6. If you watch the first video you will understand the sealing process used in my rotary engine (you need that information to understand the combustion cycle). The second video will take you through the combustion cycle. If you or anyone else you know would be interested in the development go to my web site "The Bedel Biased Option" Web site of Author Daniel J. Edwards - Home and contact me. I estimate that this ten cubic inch engine with a six inch rotor will pump out over 120 horse power. Thanks for watching DAN.

Thats very impressive!!! I hope you can continue working on it.

Thats really cool dan when you get it going pop one in the max.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6wheelie View Post
    Thats really cool dan when you get it going pop one in the max.
    Thanks for the comments. With Gods blessings and a little luck we can get this marketed.

Dan. Very nice and certainly very intriguing concept you have there. Have you built a working prototype yet? That will usually draw interested investors if they can see it run even if fine tuning still needs to be done.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark m. View Post
    Dan. Very nice and certainly very intriguing concept you have there. Have you built a working prototype yet? That will usually draw interested investors if they can see it run even if fine tuning still needs to be done.

Mark
    Still working on that my friend. I have had some big dollar offers but the investors wanted controlling interest. My biggest problem is time. I need to be able to work on this project full time. Thanks for the input.

What is the RPM range of the engine? Is it going to run comfortably at 3000 RPM or 30,000 RPM ?
    Very cool and unique design. My friend and I thought a mini version for a weedeater would be a great prototype project.

Would the fuel get injected directly into the suction port or the pressurized port?

RPM

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    What is the RPM range of the engine? Is it going to run comfortably at 3000 RPM or 30,000 RPM ?
    Very cool and unique design. My friend and I thought a mini version for a weedeater would be a great prototype project.

Would the fuel get injected directly into the suction port or the pressurized port?
    Lance, this engines rpm will only be limited by the port size and fuel delivery. It will produce more power and torque than any other engine in the size range. I hadn't considered a weed eater but you are exactly correct, that could be an excellent market entrance. The weed eater engine would be tiny, light and could probably be designed with tight tolerances that would not require rings and seals if oil were mixed with gasoline. Cheap to build, easy to manufacture. Hummmm

Hi.

Small world.

I didn't know it was MaxIV on that youtube video.

I would definitely buy one of those engines.

The engeineering concept/design is feasible.

So far it is the best design of a multi ignition port rotary engine i have seen.

It might be somewhat noisy though. Example: Having four ignitions in one stroke when compared to a single ignition in a single stroke of a single piston engine.

This four wing design would allow for smaller engines as a single ignition point rotary engine would require a larger explosion to rotate a larger heavier rotor for heavier work application.

I could see single ignition point rotary engine on a lawnmower.

Any how. I hope you do find an investor for your designs.

You would probably have better luck finding an investor outside the US. Most "EFFICIENT" & "RELIABLE" production engines tend to come from outside the US.

Just a fact.

Just about all my project, repair and upgrade engines are either Kohler or Yanmar for either gas or diesel fuel.

The only downside to a winged rotary is it the cycle to exhaust time.

Even if you use compressed air and less fuel the gases propeling the rotor goes out the exhaust in about 1/4 turn.

Granted Mazdas 7 & 8 rotary engines have the same limitations.

If it could be timed the allow each wing to have one complete rotation then exhaust. It would be even more efficient.

Granted you would need to have 3 valves.

At the moment the winged rotary is similar to a 2 stroke piston engine.

Here is a video of a single ignition point full rotation rotary engine.

Last edited by cobalt; 10-18-2009 at 04:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread