rims

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rims

rims

some of my rims are leaking around the tire and rim area. due to dirt and some bends in the rim. i want to buy new ones but first is there any way i can reuse them if i take the tire off and bend them back strait and clean up the beads? how hard is it to do yourself?tips?

If the rim isn't bent badly, it may just be the tire that is the issue or, if you've reseated the bead in the field, it could be a dirty bead. You can break the tire off the bead, leaving it on the wheel, and clean everything really well. If it's rusty, wire brush the wheel and repaint. Then reseat the tire's bead on the wheel.

its mostly because my rims leak and they get flat and when turning all the dirt and sand gets around the bead and frigs up the seal. there are some small rocks in my tires as well... you can hear it rolling around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    its mostly because my rims leak and they get flat and when turning all the dirt and sand gets around the bead and frigs up the seal. there are some small rocks in my tires as well... you can hear it rolling around in there.
    You could always put tubes in them. They are inexpensive when it comes to rim and tire replacement.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

After cleaning the rim up, you can put a thin bead of Permatex on the rim and/or tire and reseat it. We've had a lot of good luck stretching the lifespan of old rims and tires by gluing the living h*ll out of big and small tires. The silver bell trailer wheels are wicked cheap if you want to upgrade. These have a really decent bead on the rim and are well worth $12/each.

8X7 5-Lug on 4.5" Silver Bell Trailer Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    After cleaning the rim up, you can put a thin bead of Permatex on the rim and/or tire and reseat it. We've had a lot of good luck stretching the lifespan of old rims and tires by gluing the living h*ll out of big and small tires. The silver bell trailer wheels are wicked cheap if you want to upgrade. These have a really decent bead on the rim and are well worth $12/each.

8X7 5-Lug on 4.5" Silver Bell Trailer Wheel
    I have those wheels on all of my machines and I like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by smudvapor View Post
    I have those wheels on all of my machines and I like them a lot.
    do you weld bead locks on these or do they hold the bead ok??
    Thanks

They hold the bead fine. I think Egoperf measured the bead on the silver bells and compared it to the K-lock bead and it wasn't much of a difference at all. They hold quite well as-is. With that said, I'm running them naked and with a couple sets of Smud-Locks on the racers and am happy with the few laps they've made so far.

Ok Thanks Mike I'm gonna need another set of wheels myself.

I ran them on the track for a year without locks and then with locks. Hydro is right they work great either way.

+ Reply to Thread