Track Tuners ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Tuners ?

I just put tuners on my 09 Avenger and having slippage as well. I set tires diameters and pressures as per argo manual .Im thinking of setting them all to 6 psi and try that.I think the tuners will be good when tire presure is sorted out though

did you have slippage without the tuners?

Hi ,no I never had any slippage before.Once last winter I was dragging 1500 lb round bales to feed the elk and had one slip but had a flat.But besides that none.My avenger came with those goodyear tires that are discontinued.This spring I replaced all 8 with that new argo tire so I figured I'd try the tuners.I blow my tires up with nitrogen as well so should stay fairly consistent . When I got my machine new they numbered the tires and wrote the air pressure to run at on each rim,I did this and never had any issues with the rubber argo tracks.Ive been watching on here thinking I might get a different set of tracks to try but I mainly use tracks for snow so not convinced any of the others are any better.tks Robin

ive still got to index my tires but since increasing the air preasure to 5lbs in each tire the slipping seems to have stopped.

the problem is the flat rubber surface you're driving on. In certain slimy, or mixed frozen/wet conditions you cannot eliminate the problem with rubber tracks slipping altogether. It happens mostly under heavy load, but can be reduced with increased track tension (or even shortening track if it's a tad too long to start with). If tested under the same situation (track tension, load, conditions) your tires will not drive the track any better with or without track tuners installed. They only absolute must-have is that both corner axles absolutely positively need to remain driven.
    I am not a fan of the rubber tracks for a # of reasons (this is just one tiny one). There are huge improvements that can be made by setting your machine up differently, but you'll have to take my word for that I guess.

OK here is my 11/2 cents,gotta agree with the Buzz man, I went from plastic to rubber when they came out,the rubber in my circumstance at the time was a improvement as it is almost always winter running,also at the time I was not aware of anything else on the market(did not have a computer nor heard about 6x6 world).I have had several winters use out of my tracks no tuners just setting them up as the factory says and rechecking that setting thru the winter cant really complain too much they have worked,is there better out there I believe so but as of yet have no personal experience with other tracks,would I buy another set of rubber tracks,no I would try something with a grouser bar set up,but as my tracks are still in great condition and cost me large when I bought them Iam in no rush,I can see where certain conditions the tuners could be a issue and those conditions exist mostly in the winter which is when I use them the most so I will just keep doing what I have been and call it a day till someone gives me a decent dollar for these and I will try another set,not sure why slippage is a problem half a dozen winters plus plowing running overflow snow measured in feet and I have never noticed slippage it has always got me thru everything I have asked of it.Has it slipped,not sure always went forward when asked even in deep slush,guess the tracks must be sized correctly but I do keep very good tires under it,do I load it you bet ya haul all kinds of stuff to the cabin as well as a drag.NCT
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 01-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Good evening Rock Doctor. Recently purchased a Argo XTI 2016 and a set of Beaverdam Argo Hybrid tracks. My concern is loss of power/speed of about 12 kilometers per hour with tracks on. Is this normal?? I used to own an 750 efi with the argo rubber tracks and didn't find too much difference in speed/power with and without tracks. IS there that much power loss with an elevated belted track?? Maybe I need track tuners also. When I throttle up to get moving it seems that about half throttle before any movement. Almost like the brakes are on, but they are not. Whats your take on this. Thanks for your insight!!

Take Care.....Brian

HI, couple quick answers for you: With a raised belt track you gain reduction and lose top speed, you should have more pulling power than with a similar geared rubber track machine. Track tuners optimize your machine whether you have rubber or raised belt tracks. There may be something wrong with your rig ( clutching, engine, driveline) that could be causing poor performance. Rock Doctor is a member of this forum, if you want to talk directly to him just shoot him a pm. Hope this Helps!!!

The goal is to get the best of both worlds: Gear reduction equal to running much smaller tires, while retaining the ground clearance and bouyancy of much larger tires. Because you drive the track belting slower than the outer lip of the tires, and the individual grousers (in the middle) are moveable, the track is able to "centipede" around the corner tires. The tire treads go 100% speed, the track belting goes 75% speed, and the grouser adjust to stay compatible. This only happens around the corner tires. As the track moves under the center tires, it is moving 75% speed, but the center tires themselves are being driven 100% speed (because all axles are chained together). The center tires overdrive on top of the slower moving track that is under them. 0-5 mph, this is not as noticeable as 5+ mph speeds. The faster you attempt to go, the more slipping is required, and the more the CVT drive system is forced to adjust for load, and the machine speed is reduced. The best scenario is to just disconnect the center tires by using free-wheeling wheel spacers (track tuners) on the center axles. You get a full net-positive in power in ALL situations. It will now take 25% less throttle input or necessary power to operate in all situations. Now, if beaver dam designed their track to require factory-width (2.5") spacers, and the grouser body gives you the absolute smallest ground-contact patch, then you'll get added driveability benefits as well (easiest skid-turning and most resistant to uneven ground leveraging the track). Track tuners will help your complaints, especially since your machine (admiral transmission) is designed to be used in high-range most of the time. Increased speed causes increased power demand (without tuners). I would not run your machine without them unless you never plan to go over 5 mph. The only other way to avoid using track tuners is to run a quad track set up (dual half tracks) with the elevated belt track style.

Probably a dumb question Buzz but Argo,s method of staggered air pressures what is the overall theory on that and does it help or is it more or less a waste of time fact of the matter I do spend most of my time at a lower speed say under 10 mph most of the time.NCT

+ Reply to Thread