Track Tuners ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Tuners ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnova View Post
    Thanks Mudbug and Akranger for the responses. disconnecting the front chains sounds like a PITA and would defeat the idea of having a 6x6, I would be like riding a quad with 6 wheels lol! Think I will check into the track turners I believe they will fit since they hubs are the same size I read somewhere. I will do some more research and post what happens.

Thanks
    Disconnecting the front chains is nothing more than a couple Master Links, very easy, and would take about the same time installing a set of Tuners. Removing the front chains, or installing Tuners on the center axles will both defeat the idea of having a 6x6 with just tires, but with tracks, it doesn't matter.
    If you can run your rubber tracks without spinning the tires in them and have your front chains off...... That will almost eliminate any chance of chain windeup. I would try it.
    I tried removing my front chains a couple weeks ago on my Conquest, it did not work out for me. I could do almost any "normal" type driving and manouvering, but would slip the tires inside my tracks if loaded up and climbing out of holes or turning up hills. This was with my 14.5" Adair Pro Series Tracks, you should have better tire to track friction with the rubber on rubber than I did with rubber tires on UHMW Tracks.

The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work, and if you plan it right you woun't be doing your test at 9:00 at night and then putting your chains back on at 12:30 in the morning, in the dark, by "feel", out in the bush, like I was, lol.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by BadBradII View Post
    Disconnecting the front chains has the same effect as the track tuners on a 6x6 and is free. The track tuners allow the wheels they are mounted on to free-spool and rotate independently of the axle. Basically this is skipping power application to the wheels with tuners. When the 8x8s run tuners they are only powering 4 wheels. I say spend your $200 bucks on something else and pull the front chains with tracks. There is discussion about this on the Max portion of the site.
    1 Rep point to BadBrad for typing faster than me, lol

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Disconnecting the front chains is nothing more than a couple Master Links, very easy, and would take about the same time installing a set of Tuners. Removing the front chains, or installing Tuners on the center axles will both defeat the idea of having a 6x6 with just tires, but with tracks, it doesn't matter.
    If you can run your rubber tracks without spinning the tires in them and have your front chains off...... That will almost eliminate any chance of chain windeup. I would try it.
    I tried removing my front chains a couple weeks ago on my Conquest, it did not work out for me. I could do almost any "normal" type driving and manouvering, but would slip the tires inside my tracks if loaded up and climbing out of holes or turning up hills. This was with my 14.5" Adair Pro Series Tracks, you should have better tire to track friction with the rubber on rubber than I did with rubber tires on UHMW Tracks.

The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work, and if you plan it right you woun't be doing your test at 9:00 at night and then putting your chains back on at 12:30 in the morning, in the dark, by "feel", out in the bush, like I was, lol.

RD
    Good points on spinning the tires and you're probably right with proper tire inflation on the Recreatives rubber tracks it shouldn't be an issue. Again its free to try so why not.
    1995 Max IV , (#11582), 23 HP Vanguard, Custom aluminum bellyband/roll-bars with direct winch attachment. Recreatives track kit.
    Work in progress. Front windshield and canvas enclosure for winter use.

Alaska AATV Owners Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

thanks for the input and I am going to try it before I go out and blow the cash on turners. like you said worse that can happen is it wont work

Quote Originally Posted by johnnova View Post
    thanks for the input and I am going to try it before I go out and blow the cash on turners. like you said worse that can happen is it wont work
    I would not say that money spent on Tuners is "Blown", they work very well for their intended purpose, and I'm glad I have mine ;-)

RD

Ok its confirmed I tried my new max 2 with the front chains on and its not pretty I can hear the chains slam and bind up. I took off the front chains and it seems to have calmed down and I really haven't heard any sounds like I heard before.
    I am told I will have to reseed the lawn I ripped up with the tracks I am amazed how bad these tracks tore up the lawn. needless to say I took them off for now until some snow arrives. thanks for the tip guys it was very enlightening.

In an earlier post it was mentioned that Rock Doctor was going to try to put 24" tires on the centers and 22" on front and rear with track tuners on the centers. I like the idea. Do the 24" tires with tracks clear the fenders on a conquest? I am using the 18" Argo plastic supertracks. I also have an old set of 20" tires from an old magnum I had, they are in good shape and hold air. Would I be better off putting 20" front and rear and 22" centers with track tuners? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    In an earlier post it was mentioned that Rock Doctor was going to try to put 24" tires on the centers and 22" on front and rear with track tuners on the centers. I like the idea. Do the 24" tires with tracks clear the fenders on a conquest? I am using the 18" Argo plastic supertracks. I also have an old set of 20" tires from an old magnum I had, they are in good shape and hold air. Would I be better off putting 20" front and rear and 22" centers with track tuners? Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Hey Dave
    I have every intension of trying to mount 24's in the middle with Tuners, and 22's front and rear. I've even gone so far as to buy a sacrificial Conquest for the project. Problem is that "time" is an issue with me, between work and family stuff I find it hard to just maintain the machines I have already ( I just heard that my wife went crazy today and bought all 3 of my girls new hockey gear, sounds like they will each play twice a week.......... like I don't already have a full schedule, lol).
    My intent is to heat the sacrificial Conquest Tub, and mold it up to provide clearance for the 24's with tracks.
    You MIGHT get the Supertracks over the 24's without rubbing the tub, but as soon as you get a bit of snow buildup on the tracks, you will definatly start rubbing.
    If I had some 20" tires, I would try it just for Poops and Giggles, with the 22's in the middle.

RD

Now that I have all the goodies. For the conquest . All HD axles, bearings, tuners, axles extensions. and new tracks new tires. I would like to thank mike and tim at adair for all their help' And yes they stand behind their product 110% A big Thank you.
    On this thread there has been talk about the use of track tuners and removing the front chain.
    My tires sit in the tracks nice and snug no sloop what soever. Now with the track tuners and removing the front chain. You would have a rear drive Argo. (BUT) that would that put all the torque onto the rear chains. Would that not push them to the limit? Or would they be strong enough to handle the torque? My conquest has the single chain on the rear four axles.

Assuming you have no slippage between track and tire. This would eliminate all chain binding.
    I was lucky with all 8 K300 dominator tires they were all with in 1/2 inch of circumference at 5 Lbs. I was a little disappointed to find that the 22x11x8 tires were only 21 inch in diameter when mounted on 8 inch wide rimes. OH Well, That just means I am geared down a little.

I have found that the K300 tires are hard to turn with out the tracks on, but work very good with the tracks It,s a good combo and with the track tuners. It just makes things so much smoother running.

No doubt the chains would take the load, but you will just spin your back tire in the tracks. I just tried something similar with my conquest. I removed the front chain only, and could spin all the other tires in my tracks.

RD

+ Reply to Thread