Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    Ive been following the atvs with tracks for a a bit and have been out with then a lot. all I can say is that if the fella on the bike knew how to ride it, it be a different story. know wonder he is braking parts Around here the guys that ride like that are left behind to play in there mud hole and the one that use there heads go places others only dream of.
    The argo is designed to go in the mud and with a good set of tracks they will do very well. All machines have there pros and cons. Now a Argo with a good set of tracks with suspension built into them designed for the snow is what I would love to see. You are right rubber track in mud like that are useless.
    The person riding that machine was my son, if you could watch him ride you wouldn't say that, he is a very good rider (very athletic). Some times (Bad Mud) conditions dictate riding style.

Dan's son is featured in many riding videos. He is an excellent rider. In this particular footage an excellent rider was limited by the technology on the machine.

Sorry I eat my words, He is a very good rider. He know the machine and know how to push it. We do not have mud like that around here. We push our machines to get from point A to point B. Mostly as a tool, And if we can get around a problem we will. Its obvious our ridding is a whole lot dif then yours.
    Now on that note. I sure like the idea of tracks with a little suspension. But I take it we all dream of the machine that has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    The problem with this is the argos and other units like this use a skid steer system. Unlike the ATV that allow you to turn the front track.and the back track follows. If you use this on a argo you would never be able to turn. You need one long track on each side so you can spin it sideways. But I like the idea.
    Oh I dunno...you can turn with current tracks on Argo's and so forth..so why not those if they go full length of machine?

I am not nessasarily speaking about RUBBER tracks, I'm talking about a track frame with boggies and some suspension there is NO reason an adair or channel track or escargo track could not be made to work with a boggie setup like the ones pictured..

Just as I said thinkin out loud
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Oh I dunno...you can turn with current tracks on Argo's and so forth..so why not those if they go full length of machine?

I am not nessasarily speaking about RUBBER tracks, I'm talking about a track frame with boggies and some suspension there is NO reason an adair or channel track or escargo track could not be made to work with a boggie setup like the ones pictured..

It could probably be made to work with Adair style hard plastic tracks because they are soooooo much easier to turn then the Tatou style. But the grouers that run through the boggie wheels would have to be tall to keep the track on the boogie wheels during skid steers. The Boogie wheels could be run below the tires on a subframe with two sets of Boggie wheels side by side running through the grousers as they currently exsist. In my opiom all you would gain is ground clearance.

The Adairs already offer so much traction they will drag a smooth bodied Argo through the mud when the tub is littally floating on mud: witness the video.

Seems like to much effort with to little gain.

Here is something that came out of china I think [IMG][/IMG]
    How well it worked Do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post

Wish granted, now you only have 2 left.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Side view of the tracks They must be using a skid steer on this [IMG][/IMG]

How was the trickster in the snow I have not followed them much.
    Last edited by Old Tucker; 11-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.

there is/were lots of cushman's up here but many of the owners eventually ended up with argos. For an amphibious rig, over the wheel style tracks let you keep buoyancy. Fewer parts, many track options, and some drive-redundancy in the event you have some major problems with your tracks. Suspension would be nice, but these machines only have HP enough to go sloow through much of the terrain they were designed for anyway. At least if you're carrying or towing anything significant. A custom machine, well that's a different story altogether.

After a lifetime amphibious atvs I think that the best solution to the scenario is a hard plastic track, maybe with snow cleats for winter. They give good all around utility with minimal upkeep.
    In terms of suspension, that's where additional cost and complexity kicks in. Probably prohibitive for recreational users anyway. An airbag seat or thickly padded seat with built in suspension is a fairly inexpensive work around. Look at the seat system from the Hoot for inspiration.
    Maybe someday a bright person will come up with some inexpensive alternatives. For now we have what we have.

+ Reply to Thread