Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

I like that Noel. For now we have what we have. Well said.
    Every bodies ridding conditions are a little different. As mine are on very rocky and steep trails. so I just use the argo in the winter with tracks because the rocks and rough ness of the trail is covered with 5 to 10 feet of snow. in the summer its by far better and faster to use a Quad. So when I see a vid of someone screening into a mud puddle just to try and get stuck I say WHY? . I have enough challenges just trying to get to my destination with out getting killed. But its all a lot of fun that why we do what we do.

seems like if someone wanted to take say a max 2 and make tracks with bogey wheels and maybe suspension, the best way would be like dozers and tanks. replace front wheel with a cogged drive style. rear wheel replace with free wheeling track guide wheel. these both may be about 8'' diameter. then design the bogey wheel system to fit . the right length and height could be determined.you would need to remove rear drive chains so those axles could freewheel. the center axle would just be cut close to outer bearing. it would still turn. the front axle would drive the track cog. this would all be designed according to the tracks being used, like rubber tracks for skid steers, etc. there are lots of designs. you could probably use the stock wheel rims and make the front one a drive wheel, then design your own tracks etc. to fit. would be fun project !! johnboy va.

For a Max you would drive from the rear and for an Argo drive from the front. You then could just remove all of the other axles and maybe use the holes for torsion rods. Copy a known working system, like a Tucker or some snow cat. The unit could just bolt up to where axle extensions bolt on - kind of in the form of the Max axle reinforcement beam thingy.

Add UHMW guides under the body to protect it. Spring load the idler (pulley at the end opposite the drive cog) to manage track slack.

Probably should just go buy a snow cat.

i tell ya, look up on the internet under homebuilt tracked russian machines. it's amazing what those guy's come up with. lot's of great ideas !! johnboy va.

I remember member Brebett posting pics of someone in Canada mounting those Tatou tracks on a 6x6. I didn't quite get it. Why add something like that to a machine that has the full track capability already factored in. Then again I don't really understand the half track idea either. I have never run that half track set up so don't really see the benefit but I'm open to be enlightened. If all axles are powered then why not put them all inside the same track? Not picking on these set ups just don't see the advantage over a full track set up.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    I remember member Brebett posting pics of someone in Canada mounting those Tatou tracks on a 6x6. I didn't quite get it. Why add something like that to a machine that has the full track capability already factored in. Then again I don't really understand the half track idea either. I have never run that half track set up so don't really see the benefit but I'm open to be enlightened. If all axles are powered then why not put them all inside the same track? Not picking on these set ups just don't see the advantage over a full track set up.
    K I suck at paint and drawing but I'm not talking half tracks...more like this

Hope that kinda clears up what I'm thinking
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Track dynamics also come into play. When the suspension moves up or down or both within the length of the track, the track will tighten and limit the movement of the suspension. On a tank or armored personnel carrier, or piece of construction equipment, the track in usually long enough to be able to allow suspension movement without the track tightening up. On a short wheel base AATV the track with suspension will tighten up quickly and cancel out the benefit of the suspension.

I think the best bet is to do the springer option with track around it like someone on here has done to a max 2, Jersey bigfoot maybe. Again not trying to start anything with anyone just looking for enlightenment.

I think with us talking about it and coming up a few different ideas. Just maybe someone in argo or Adair or who know where will say, It looks like there may be a market for just a good set of bolt on tracks that is far better then what we are playing with now. (A track that wraps around a tire and has a very bad front attack angle.) The front has to be curved up so it will have a tendency of pulling you up onto the snow and not tying to plow its way through it.
    I know a track good for the snow may not be good for mud or very rough rocky trails. We are trying to play with a do it all track. Just like a all season tire is not good for ice and snow, Will work but its not the best.

In playing with my tucker snow cat. Its tracks were far to aggressive for the power it had. but I tell you going in a straight line you could not stop it. The front of the track is curved up so it would pull its self up onto the snow. It was Tuckers try at the recreation market. Another small snow cat came out about the same time and it had a rubber track. Same motor same weight. But it danced circles around mine.

Right now there is not a small snow cat out there for the recreation market. One that you could pull behind your every day PU.
    Yes, there are the snowmobiles and side by sides, And ATVs with tracks. A snowmobile you cannot put your family in and go enjoy a day outing. ATVs same problem and your open to the elements. Also you cannot carry a heavy load. Side by sides.they are just a glorified ATV.
    Now a argo or Mud ox now there you have something to put the family in, top up and away you go. All we need is a good set of snow tracks.
    The problem is know one has been thinking out of the box. Its all been trying to come up with a track that will go around your existing tires.
    My two pennies. ..OH right we in Canada do not have pennies any more

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    I think with us talking about it and coming up a few different ideas. Just maybe someone in argo or Adair or who know where will say, It looks like there may be a market for just a good set of bolt on tracks that is far better then what we are playing with now. (A track that wraps around a tire and has a very bad front attack angle.) The front has to be curved up so it will have a tendency of pulling you up onto the snow and not tying to plow its way through it.
    I know a track good for the snow may not be good for mud or very rough rocky trails. We are trying to play with a do it all track. Just like a all season tire is not good for ice and snow, Will work but its not the best.

In playing with my tucker snow cat. Its tracks were far to aggressive for the power it had. but I tell you going in a straight line you could not stop it. The front of the track is curved up so it would pull its self up onto the snow. It was Tuckers try at the recreation market. Another small snow cat came out about the same time and it had a rubber track. Same motor same weight. But it danced circles around mine.

Right now there is not a small snow cat out there for the recreation market. One that you could pull behind your every day PU.
    Yes, there are the snowmobiles and side by sides, And ATVs with tracks. A snowmobile you cannot put your family in and go enjoy a day outing. ATVs same problem and your open to the elements. Also you cannot carry a heavy load. Side by sides.they are just a glorified ATV.
    Now a argo or Mud ox now there you have something to put the family in, top up and away you go. All we need is a good set of snow tracks.
    The problem is know one has been thinking out of the box. Its all been trying to come up with a track that will go around your existing tires.
    My two pennies. ..OH right we in Canada do not have pennies any more
    Uhm...isn't my idea is so outside the box enough for you??? WTF are U saying....Hmmm??? I'm kinda outside the box kinda guy hence all my weirdness and ideas like building a custom BOLT on track setup?????
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread