Maximum PSI for Runamucks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximum PSI for Runamucks?

Maximum PSI for Runamucks?

I have an older 6x6 Vanguard that has the Goodyear Runamuck tires. The 3 on the left side are badly age cracked on the sidewalls and had air leaks at the bead. My local tire shop found no leaks on the sidewalls, which was a surprise. They cleaned the rims, sealed the tires on the rims, and put Slime in them. They put 7 PSI air in each tire. I read where the maximum PSI for my tires is 5. I know that 7 PSI will make for a rough ride, but I don't want them to leak at the rim or pop off of the wheel. What do you think of having 7 PSI in these tires? I DO use plastic tracks for winter.
    A second question is about Slime. I've read mixed reviews on it. The positives are obvious. That said, I've read that A) in extremely low temps it will freeze so antifreeze needs to be added to it. B) After about 2 years in the tires it will harden and need to be cleaned out and replaced with fresh and C) the turning of the tires will keep it on the tread and it will therefore not coat the sidewalls and seal any leaks there. The tire shop put Slime in the left 3 tires but the 3 on the right side have none. Is it worth it to put Slime in those 3? Thank you all for any replies.

You need to run less than 7PSI, that will make for a rough ride. I would probably go to 3 PSI or maybe lower depending on what wheels you have. I think Slime is a good product. I ran it in all of my tires for many years and never had any issues. Over time I just quit using it but I still think it's good to have. I would add Slime to the other three tires that you have an just run it.

Wondering does slims keep water out of the tire when swimming?

Slime will assist in keeping the holes plugged while the tire is swimming, however its mainly the air in the tire that keeps the bead on (the air pressure expands the tire to fit tightly on the rim) which keeps the water out and the air in.

I've used slime and the similar type products for years, the places I ride have a lot of thorns and cypress knees that will easily flatten a tire otherwise. So its a necessary evil. I've inspected the wheels closely after a year or so, and noted that slime does corrode the wheel, so its a catch 22 deal.

I've also used some of the slime type products made by other companies, and the old adage "you get what you pay for" really applies.

In addressing your air pressure question, the higher you can stand on your non-K locks, I think the better off you will be. Those wheels are notorious for allowing the tire to slip on the wheel, and lose air pressure and allow mud and water inside the wheel, the tire goes flat, and you have to demount the tire to clean up the mess, then reinstall. 7psi isn't that much, and shouldn't make the ride much rougher than 3-5 psi. The lower you can run the psi, the softer the ride, and more traction you get, so its a balancing act to get the pressure high enough to not lose the bead, but low enough to maximize traction. Also, the higher the psi, the more painful the ride becomes, and you put more stress on the bearings, chains and sprockets.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 02-09-2016 at 09:58 PM.

One more question. If I let air out of the tires to reduce the PSI down from 7lbs won't the air leaving the valve be like a leak at the valve core and the slime will go there and plug it up? Just wondering if having slime in the tires will interfere with letting air out to reduce the PSI. Thanks for any replies.

The slime reacts with the air and cures forming a thin seal. You will be able to let air out and place the valve cap back on, keeping the slime from plugging the valve. Then you can add air later on if needed and repeat the process as many times as you need.

+ Reply to Thread